Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Betsy Betsy is offline

Default Table of Contents Page Number Placement

I have a long document and have an "auto" toc. One line of the toc has a
name and then the page number right next to it. All the rest of the lines in
the toc have the name, then leading dots, then the page number. I have
selected this line, cleared all tabs, then re-set the tab to no avail. I
can't figure out why this one line is doing this.
Example:

cat..................................7
dog.................................8
fish9
cow...............................10

Any ideas? (and thanks!)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Betsy" wrote:

I have a long document and have an "auto" toc. One line of the toc has a
name and then the page number right next to it. All the rest of the lines in
the toc have the name, then leading dots, then the page number. I have
selected this line, cleared all tabs, then re-set the tab to no avail. I
can't figure out why this one line is doing this.
Example:

cat..................................7
dog.................................8
fish9
cow...............................10

Any ideas? (and thanks!)

I have seen this before when I had a TOC style with two tab stops. If the
text on the TOC line is too short, the page number is added at the first tab
stop instead of the second one (The one with the leading dots set on the
right margin, or near it).

You have to either make that word longer or change/remove the first tab stop
from the TOC style definition.

For more on TOC's, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Betsy Betsy is offline

thank you, that worked. I can't figure out why there were two tab stops. I
only set one. Weird!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Betsy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Numbered items usually result in an extra tab stop (to separate the
paragraph number from the paragraph text), but it is unclear if that is the
cause in your situation.

Note also that the TOC styles by default are set to update automatically,
which means that if you inadvertently added a tab stop for one entry, it
will be added to the corresponding TOC style too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP