Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ursula Ursula is offline

Default Disable macros in Word if no idea of host application

I use Word 2003. Everytime when I open MS Word I get the note saying that
macros are disabled and to refer to the host aplication. I have no idea what
the host application could be because I have written this word document
myself, saved it on my own computer and the next time I opened this document,
I got this message. How do I turn this annoying message off?? Because it
appears every time I open any word document now.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Ursula:

If it's only that document, then the cause is in "that document".

The document has a macro or other customisation in it.

Open Organiser to see which one. You can also delete it from Organiser.
Look Organiser up in the Help.

If you cannot SEE the problem in Organiser, then you'll have to Maggie the
document.

1) Create a new blank document

2) Copy everything EXCEPT the last paragraph mark from the old document (if
you copy the last paragraph mark, you will copy the problem)

3) Paste into the new document and save under a new file name.

Cheers

On 15/1/07 12:46 PM, in article
, "Ursula"
wrote:

I use Word 2003. Everytime when I open MS Word I get the note saying that
macros are disabled and to refer to the host aplication. I have no idea what
the host application could be because I have written this word document
myself, saved it on my own computer and the next time I opened this document,
I got this message. How do I turn this annoying message off?? Because it
appears every time I open any word document now.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ursula Ursula is offline

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the note about enabling macros appear now EVERYTIME I open
Word. What can I do about that?
Ursula

"Ursula" wrote:

I use Word 2003. Everytime when I open MS Word I get the note saying that
macros are disabled and to refer to the host aplication. I have no idea what
the host application could be because I have written this word document
myself, saved it on my own computer and the next time I opened this document,
I got this message. How do I turn this annoying message off?? Because it
appears every time I open any word document now.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You will get a macro warning if there are macros saved in your document
unless you set the macro security to low (don't do that!!!!)
You will also get a macro warning if there are macros in a template or an
add-in and you have not set macro security to trust *installed* templates
and add-ins. Even if you set this option, if you open a template containing
macros from another location than the templates or startup folder you will
get the warning.

The warning is a protection from unwanted and potentially malicious code.

My guess is that you have installed software with an add-in to Word and it
is the add-in that is causing the warning. Check macro security, and set it
to Medium and to trust installed templates and add-ins. If you still get the
warning, the macro is probably in the document and you should investigate
what it is before allowing it to run - especially if the document was
produced by a third party.

.

"Ursula" wrote:

I use Word 2003. Everytime when I open MS Word I get the note saying
that macros are disabled and to refer to the host aplication. I have
no idea what the host application could be because I have written
this word document myself, saved it on my own computer and the next
time I opened this document, I got this message. How do I turn this
annoying message off?? Because it appears every time I open any word
document now.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

OK, if it's now happening on EVERY document you open, chances are high that
whatever it is is in the Normal template.

Find your Normal.dot file, quit Word, and re-name it to "Normal.old".

Word will create a new Normal.dot when it restarts, and that may cure your
problem. Be careful: a "spreading problem" like this is often a sign of a
virus having gotten into your system.

Cheers

On 15/1/07 4:27 PM, in article
, "Ursula"

"Ursula" wrote:

I use Word 2003. Everytime when I open MS Word I get the note saying that
macros are disabled and to refer to the host aplication. I have no idea what
the host application could be because I have written this word document
myself, saved it on my own computer and the next time I opened this document,
I got this message. How do I turn this annoying message off?? Because it
appears every time I open any word document now.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ursula Ursula is offline

Thank you, Graham, for your reply. I think you are probably right because on
reflection this happened when I installed Myob and there is a link to Word.
Would it now help if I delete all pre-written letters (such as reminders
etc.) from the programme?
Ursula

"Ursula" wrote:

I use Word 2003. Everytime when I open MS Word I get the note saying
that macros are disabled and to refer to the host aplication. I have
no idea what the host application could be because I have written
this word document myself, saved it on my own computer and the next
time I opened this document, I got this message. How do I turn this
annoying message off?? Because it appears every time I open any word
document now.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It might require only moving the MYOB add-in file from one folder to
another.

As explained in the article
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm,
there are two "Word startup folders" on the hard drive -- one under
your login profile in the Documents and Settings folder, and another
under the Program Files folder where Office is installed. Only the one
in the profile is considered a "trusted location". If the MYOB file is
in the folder under Program Files, move it to your profile. [In
Windows Explorer, you have to go to Tools Folder Options View and
turn on display of hidden folders to see the Application Data folder
under the profile.]

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman