Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geo Wolfcanes Geo Wolfcanes is offline

Default Is it possible to use two different page number formats on same pa

I have a document with multiple appendicies. Each appendix is outline
numbered A, B, C, etc. and in each one the page numbers are formatted with
the corresponding chapter number (Appendix number, A, B C, etc.). The result
is page A-#, or B-#, etc. Now here is the problem: I also would like to
include the overall page number in the document. For example, if the page
right before my first appendix is 258 then on the first page of Appendix A I
would like to have "Page A-1, Overall Page 259". Is this possible? If I
change the format of one page number field, it changes them both. Any help or
idea solutions are greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

It is possible to have two different page numbers in some circumstances but
I have found it unreliable.

One way to do what you want is to define a variable on the first page of the
appendix. In the body of the document, immediately before the appendix
start, add a field:

{ Set AppStart { Page } }

(where the braces are entered via Ctrl+F9). Then update the field to make
sure the value is stored.

Now, in your header put:

{ If { AppStart } { Page } "" { Quote "Page A-" { =({ Page } - {
AppStart } + 1 )} ", Overall " } }Page { Page } }

(where, again, the braces are entered via Ctrl+F9). When you update fields
in the header you should - if I've typed it correctly - get what you ask
for.

If you have to update fields later, always update fields in the body first
then fields in the header (remembering that fields in the header will get
automatically updated in some circumstances - printing, for instance).

--
Enjoy,
Tony