Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HSample

Default keyboard shortcut for skipping words

With a previous incarnation of Word on a computer running Windows 2000
professional, I was able to skip from word to word in a sentence using the
combination of control + either the left or the right arrow key. I just got a
new computer running XP, and it does not seem to allow that combination of
keys. Anyone know a fix?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

The key combinations of Ctrl + left arrow or right arrow still work fine in
Word 2003 running on Windows XP. Do you have sticky keys enabled? (I suspect
you would notice if you did.)

Try loading Word using
Start Run "winword.exe /a" (note the space before the /a)
Does it work then? If so your problem is a customization or an Add-In. If
not, your problem is likely in Windows.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"HSample" wrote in message
With a previous incarnation of Word on a computer running Windows 2000
professional, I was able to skip from word to word in a sentence using the
combination of control + either the left or the right arrow key. I just
got a
new computer running XP, and it does not seem to allow that combination of
keys. Anyone know a fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HSample

Don't have sticky keys on and I can't reload word since this is a company
computer and they would look askance at me doing that. (Don't have the disc
anyway.) I checked the keyboard settings (it's the same keyboard I used
before, a microsoft model) and every other setting, option and customization
feature I could think of. Still, it doesn't work, and that's a pain because
my fingers are trained to use that keyboard combination to get around
documents.

"HSample" wrote in message
With a previous incarnation of Word on a computer running Windows 2000
professional, I was able to skip from word to word in a sentence using the
combination of control + either the left or the right arrow key. I just
got a
new computer running XP, and it does not seem to allow that combination of
keys. Anyone know a fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HSample

I figured out what you meant about loading word from the startrun process.
That didn't work either. I still can't use that keyboard combination. Very
weird.

"HSample" wrote in message
With a previous incarnation of Word on a computer running Windows 2000
professional, I was able to skip from word to word in a sentence using the
combination of control + either the left or the right arrow key. I just
got a
new computer running XP, and it does not seem to allow that combination of
keys. Anyone know a fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Open the Tools Customize dialog and click the Keyboard button at the
bottom. Select "All Commands" in the Categories list and "Word Left"
in the Commands list. You should see Ctrl+Left in the Current Keys
box.

If it isn't there, put the cursor in the "Press new shortcut key" box
and press the Ctrl+Left arrow combination, then click the Assign
button. Repeat for the "Word Right" command and the Ctrl+Right
shortcut.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"HSample" wrote in message
With a previous incarnation of Word on a computer running Windows 2000
professional, I was able to skip from word to word in a sentence using the
combination of control + either the left or the right arrow key. I just
got a
new computer running XP, and it does not seem to allow that combination of
keys. Anyone know a fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HSample

Thank you all for your help. I finally figured out what was wrong. A program
that goes with my digital recorder, which allows me to use keys while
transcribing, had essentially taken over that key combination (cntrl + left
or right arrow) for its own use, and would not allow Word to use it. I fixed
that! Thanks again!