Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
digital dummy

Default macros text dissappears

while using a company constructed Word template with macros(and I'm not
experianced with macros), text dissappears from a cell and I can't figure out
why or retreive it. This has happened several times and I am frustrated to
say the least. any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You are probably working in a protected form (where you can only type in a
few places) and there is a macro that resets the form. What is it you are
trying to do?

What I am talking about is what Word calls an "online form." Check this in
help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"digital dummy" digital wrote in message
while using a company constructed Word template with macros(and I'm not
experianced with macros), text dissappears from a cell and I can't figure
out
why or retreive it. This has happened several times and I am frustrated to
say the least. any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
digital dummy

Thanks Charles for responding. It is not an online form but a company created
form on a disk used to provide employee review and evaluation. It contains
cells to type information that expand to accept the amount of text entered.
Several times I entered text (several paragraphs) only to have it dissappear.
Like I was holding down the delete button. It moves from bottom to top and
doesn't always delete all of the text. Sometimes a sentence or two remain.
Also the text in this box is bold and none of the other boxes are. I was
wondering if maybe accidentally touching one of the hot keys on the bottom of
the key board would cause this to happen?

Thanks again

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
digital dummy

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

It was my sister that was having the problem and it happened again yesterday. She said she was pressing the 'backspace' buttom when it happened...all the text dissappeared form her cursor to the end(about two paragraphs) 1 or 2 sentances were left. I set up a new seperate Word document and she typed in that and then I copied and pasted the text in the original macro document, that way if it did it again we could just copy it again from the orginal document. I am still curious as to what is happening though.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Sounds even more like an online form. Can you type anywhere you want in it?

You may have fixed-size cells and your text is still there but can't be
seen.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
digital dummy

Don't know about the online thing. We were not online at the time. It is a
Word template file with macros in which you enter text in predetermined cells
that enlarge with the length of text you enter. I first thought it was due to
size untile we could paste the text and didn't have a problem. It also has
boxes to check to select certain values such as good,better,best ect. When we
pasted the text in the cells it went in with no problems and enlarged to
accomidate the whole text.. Seems that the problem arises when actually
typing in the cell like editing after pasteing. I am still thinking that
accidentally touching a hot key when typing may cause the problem

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

An "online form" or "protected form" has nothing to do with being connected
to the Internet. It is a form that is filled out on the computer ("onscreen"
might be a better term) instead of on paper. And it uses form fields (not
macros). For more on such forms, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Sounds even more like an online form. Can you type anywhere you want in

it?

You may have fixed-size cells and your text is still there but can't be
seen.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"digital dummy" wrote in

message

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version

of

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Please, when someone asks you a question on these newsgroups, take the
question seriously. I believe you have what is known as an "online form"
even if you are not online. The name is misleading. I asked you if you could
type anywhere you want to type in the document. Can you open the
header/footer view under the view menu? I'm not sitting behind your computer
so I don't know. Your answers to these questions will help me or someone
else help you.

If the answer is that you can't open the header/footer view, then start
reading the articles that Suzanne and I have referred you to because you do
have an online form.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
digital dummy

I believe you are correct then. It is a form in which you select certain
cells to respond to questions asked in the form, I cannopt type anywhere
except those cells to respond to the question asked. I assumed it has macros
because when opening the form I must select "Enable Macros" from a pop up
box. As I stated eariler, there are check boxes in the form to respond to
also. I do not have access to the document at this monent to try and open the
header/footer view as you have asked. I have looked at the articals linked to
and have tried to learn something from them, but as interesting as they
are(never kneew you could do all that with Word)it feels like it is alittle
over my head.