Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheMilkGuy TheMilkGuy is offline

Default Disappearing Styles & Chapter Numbering Woes

Hi folks,

I'm using Word 2010 and I'm desperate to understand what's going on
here...

Using Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3... I have Chapter numbers like:

2 General (Heading 1)
2.1 Sub-General (Heading 2)
2.1.1 Sub-Sub-General (Heading 3)

Sometimes when I type the header for the next Sub-General topic,
highlight it and click Heading 2 in the Style menu, it defaults to
1.1, or perhaps 6.7, or perhaps 2.5. There's no rhyme or reason to
it.

Then, when I try to right-click and adjust the numbering, that option
is greyed-out, and the small icon beside "Numbers" is not
highlighted. Then again, sometimes I *can* adjust the numbers.

However, when I do adjust the numbers manually it throws off the TOC
(I get a lot of blank lines of increasing numbers) and when I activate
the Show/Hide I see a stream of numbers leading up to the Heading I
renumbered. An example:
I changed the 1.1 that came by default to the proper 2.5. I then see
a list of numbers reading
2.1
2.2
2.3
2.4
2.5
Leading up to my Sub-General topic title. With the Show/Hide off I
don't see anything at all.

And now, adding insult to injury, my Heading 1, 2, 3, etc no longer
number at all!

If I am being unclear I will clarify anything that sounds odd. In the
meantime I would truly appreciate some help here before I freak out a
little.

Thanks,
Craig
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How did you set up numbering in the first place? For stability reasons, you
should set up the numbering as explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP