Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
APL APL is offline

Default Adding new Heading 1 and linking others to unique numbering

Please assist... I am 20 pages into a formatting a document, have set up all
my styles and just realized I needed a new heading that precedes my Heading
1. My new heading will be Division 1. The next time I apply the style it will
appear as Division 2, then Division 3 and so forth. I can set that up BUT I
do not know how to link it to make the existing Heading 1 become Heading 2
and have that new Heading 2 begin with a 100 series for Division 1, 200
series for Division 2 and so on. I also have a Heading 3 that starts with
100.1, then 200.1, etc.

Any advice on how to add the heading and apply the numbering schema would
be greatly appreciated! (Of cours this 100 page document is due tomorrow.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
APL APL is offline

Suzanne - You are a gem. Indeed I started there. Still not having success. My
first attempt was to create a new heading 4 and apply the heading 3 style,
then apply heading 2 style to heading 3, but when I went to apply heading 1
to heading 2, all of my styles looked like my heading 1. Any suggestions
from here?

Appreciatively,
Andrea

"APL" wrote in message
Please assist... I am 20 pages into a formatting a document, have set up
all
my styles and just realized I needed a new heading that precedes my
Heading
1. My new heading will be Division 1. The next time I apply the style it
will
appear as Division 2, then Division 3 and so forth. I can set that up BUT
do not know how to link it to make the existing Heading 1 become Heading 2
and have that new Heading 2 begin with a 100 series for Division 1, 200
series for Division 2 and so on. I also have a Heading 3 that starts with
100.1, then 200.1, etc.

Any advice on how to add the heading and apply the numbering schema would
be greatly appreciated! (Of cours this 100 page document is due tomorrow.)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You didn't say which version of Word ... but in Word2007, you need to
start with your cursor in the first example of the topmost heading
("Division 1") and work downward from the top, rather than up from the
bottom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Start athttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

http://word.mvps.org

"APL" wrote in message
Please assist... I am 20 pages into a formatting a document, have set up
all
my styles and just realized I needed a new heading that precedes my
Heading
1. My new heading will be Division 1. The next time I apply the style it
will
appear as Division 2, then Division 3 and so forth. I can set that up BUT
do not know how to link it to make the existing Heading 1 become Heading 2
and have that new Heading 2 begin with a 100 series for Division 1, 200
series for Division 2 and so on. I also have a Heading 3 that starts with
100.1, then 200.1, etc.

Any advice *on how to add the heading and apply the numbering schema would
be greatly appreciated! (Of cours this 100 page document is due tomorrow.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
APL APL is offline

Peter - Thanks for asking. I'm using 2003. And please know, the only reason
I'm working from the bottom up is that the headings are dependent. Are you
aware of a way to demote each existing heading such that I could create a new
heading 1?

- Andrea

"APL" wrote in message
Please assist... I am 20 pages into a formatting a document, have set up
all
my styles and just realized I needed a new heading that precedes my
Heading
1. My new heading will be Division 1. The next time I apply the style it
will
appear as Division 2, then Division 3 and so forth. I can set that up BUT
do not know how to link it to make the existing Heading 1 become Heading 2
and have that new Heading 2 begin with a 100 series for Division 1, 200
series for Division 2 and so on. I also have a Heading 3 that starts with
100.1, then 200.1, etc.

Any advice on how to add the heading and apply the numbering schema would
be greatly appreciated! (Of cours this 100 page document is due tomorrow.)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Andrea,

You can demote each existing paragraph with a heading style applied
(provided the style has "Heading" in the name) using a macro;

Sub ScratchMacro()
Dim oPar As Paragraph
For Each oPar In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
If InStr(oPar.Style.NameLocal, "Heading") 0 Then
oPar.OutlineDemote
End If
Next oPar
End Sub

"APL" wrote in message
Please assist... I am 20 pages into a formatting a document, have set up
all
my styles and just realized I needed a new heading that precedes my
Heading
1. My new heading will be Division 1. The next time I apply the style it
will
appear as Division 2, then Division 3 and so forth. I can set that up BUT
do not know how to link it to make the existing Heading 1 become Heading 2
and have that new Heading 2 begin with a 100 series for Division 1, 200
series for Division 2 and so on. I also have a Heading 3 that starts with
100.1, then 200.1, etc.

Any advice *on how to add the heading and apply the numbering schema would
be greatly appreciated! (Of cours this 100 page document is due tomorrow.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

APL - "the only reason I'm working from the bottom up is that the headings
are dependent"
Just to resitpulate what Peter mentioned, Word Outline/Header styles can be
tempermental if not created correctly, and to solve this you create them from
within the dialog box of the Heading 1 style and work your way down, this
will ensure the dependency. The previously mentioned article about Outline
Numbering does mention this if you read carefully and follow the instructions
precisiely.

Hope this helps
DeanH