Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
melthamdave melthamdave is offline

Default cross references

I develop large documents. I have been working with cross references for many
years. Cross rerencing is a bind - I would like to use them more but the cost
benefit is not worth it. It seems as if little effort is put into improving
them with each new version of Word (I use 03)
Suggestions
-a much larger dialogue box
-base the finding of the reference you want to cross refer to on the
document map. This will enable you to search more easily eg you can go to a
section then expand it to the sub heading or section you want
-retain where you started from so you do not have to start from scratch each
time you start a new cross ref
-- a button on the inserted cross reference to go back to the original as
well as go to the cross reference (you could do this on some previous
versions of Word)
- make the cross references more resilient so they are retained after
significant editing of the document
There are other suggestions but these are the main ones
Thanks
melthamdave

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Thanks: Suzanne has put that in on the "list" for the next version. We'll
beat them up again for you. We've been beating them up for years about
this, and so far, no progress...

Cross references should be much improved in the next version of Word,
because its file format is much more rugged.

On 29/8/06 8:09 AM, in article
, "melthamdave"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=1f81173b-9e21
-4eaa-9ead-01ee6d4b76a8&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Firley Firley is offline

"melthamdave" wrote:

[...]

I add:
- When you make cross reference you can put field in one of determined
format, eg. Only label and number, or Page number. But in mine documents I
often use only number of cross referenced item. So I must add Only label and
number and cut the label. So I'll be pleased when you add Only number in
"Insert reference to:" pool.
- Second is that when you printing document all of cross references are
updating. And this happens when you mark Word options-Display-Update fields
befopre printing / Update linked data before printing, or you not.
Thanks
Firley