Ty

Default Table of Contents

I inserted another document into my document and now it is all showing up as
part of my table of contents.

How do I highlight this text that I imported and tell it that it has NOTHING
to do with the table of contents?

Thanks.

Ty

You may need to do this the other way around. Unless your inserted document
uses entirely different heading styles from the main document (so that you
can remove the outline levels from those headings in the TOC Options
dialog), your best bet may be to create your TOC based on a bookmarked
portion of the document. For more, see the section "A partial table of
contents" in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

"Ty" wrote in message
I inserted another document into my document and now it is all showing up

as
part of my table of contents.

How do I highlight this text that I imported and tell it that it has

NOTHING
to do with the table of contents?

Thanks.

Ty

Margaret Aldis

If you mean the *whole* of your document is showing in the table of contents
(as opposed to its headings, which could be disabled as explained by
Suzanne) there are two possible causes I can think of:

1. The document you inserted is styled using a heading style that you pick
up in the TOC - if so, style text correctly with Normal or Body styles.

2. The inserted document has got "caught up" in a bookmark for an existing
heading. Precise behaviour and options for fixing may depend on Word
version, but almost certainly your quickest solution here will be to
reinsert a new TOC instead of updating the existing one.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP