Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default Index formatting

Working in Word 2002 and Windows XP.

I have the following Index code
INDEX \c "3" \z "1033"
and it works fine creating an index in 3 columns.

I would like to reduce the space between the columns, but when I try moving
the margin markers on the ruler with or without moving the tab markers, it
messes things up: page numbers go beyond the right margins.

I am ready to accept the default index produced but thought to ask the gurus
here in case I am overlooking a simple way to do this. I looked at the
index codes but there does not seem to be one to define the blank space
between the columns. Is there one?

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm not sure why you're getting the effect you describe ‹ any attempt I make
here to use the Ruler doesn't cause the Index to extend beyond the left
margin of the document... Unless I actually move the page margin marker
itself rather than the column margin marker. That may vary depending on
which marker you move & how much you move it, but narrowing the space
between columns doesn't have that effect here.

At any rate, try this instead: With your insertion point in the Index go to
Format Columns & set the Spacing: value there to what you prefer. The check
should already be in place for Equal Column Width so you only need to change
the one value ‹ the other will automatically adjust.

You most likely weren't looking in the right place because Columnar layout
is an attribute of the Section rather than a Format property of the content
so it's not controlled by the Index style.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/14/09 9:09 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

Working in Word 2002 and Windows XP.

I have the following Index code
INDEX \c "3" \z "1033"
and it works fine creating an index in 3 columns.

I would like to reduce the space between the columns, but when I try moving
the margin markers on the ruler with or without moving the tab markers, it
messes things up: page numbers go beyond the right margins.

I am ready to accept the default index produced but thought to ask the gurus
here in case I am overlooking a simple way to do this. I looked at the
index codes but there does not seem to be one to define the blank space
between the columns. Is there one?

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Thank you.

I was not looking in the correct places.

Jeff

.. .