Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ladypep Ladypep is offline

Default Insert/Typeover Mode

My users have asked me if there is anyway to permanently disable typeover
mode. There is none that I know of. Does anyone know of some setting I can
change so that pressing the Insert key does not toggle to Typeover?

Thanks
--
Sherry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ladypep Ladypep is offline

Thanks, Jay. I tried this but it doesn't exactly accomplish what I was
hoping. A lot of my users have the problem of accidentally hitting the
Insert key without realizing it. If I remove assignment of Insert key, it
only removes ability to insert altogether, so that it is permanently on
Typeover, no matter if you press the key or not. I need the same thing in
opposite, in that I need my users to be able to remain in Insert mode whether
or not they have accidentally pressed the Insert key or not.

Thanks,
--
Sherry

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

In Tools Customize Keyboard, select the Overtype command and remove the
assignment of the Insert key.

There's an option in Tools Options Edit to make the Insert key do a
Paste instead of Overtype, but IMO that's as bad or worse.

--
Jay Freedman

"Ladypep" wrote:

My users have asked me if there is anyway to permanently disable typeover
mode. There is none that I know of. Does anyone know of some setting I can
change so that pressing the Insert key does not toggle to Typeover?

Thanks
--
Sherry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Ladypep:

On my machine removing the assignment removes the ability to toggle. If I
was overtype mode when I removed the assignment, I was stuck in overtype
mode. If I removed the assignment when I was in insert mode, I was stuck in
insert mode -- which is what you want, I think.

Please check that you are in insert mode when remove the assignment.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Ladypep" wrote:

My users have asked me if there is anyway to permanently disable typeover
mode. There is none that I know of. Does anyone know of some setting I can
change so that pressing the Insert key does not toggle to Typeover?

Thanks
--
Sherry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Both of you missed the fact that even with the Insert key completely
disabled, you can still toggle back and forth between Overtype mode
and Insert mode in either of two ways:

- Double-click the letters OVR in the status bar (which are gray when
you're in Insert mode and black when you're in Overtype mode).

OR

- Go to the Tools Options dialog, click the Edit tab, and
check/uncheck the "Overtype mode" option.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman