Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default Word 2007 Footers

Everytime you insert a footer into a Word document, it adds a paragraph
symbol which raises the footer on the page. Does anyone know of a way to
stop this. I can write a macro in VBA which I could then access from the
Developer tab but I would prefer to have users select footer from the Insert
tab and not have an extra paragraph symbol. I have looked at modifying
ribbons in Word 2007 but it seems, that even with an additional program, I
can't add a button to the Insert ribbon. I would be grateful for any
suggestions.
--
Thanks.
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Chris,

You can't have something in a header or footer that lacks a paragraph mark. As with any other paragraph, though, you can format such
a paragraph's leading & trailing space settings (best done by defining an appropriate paragraph Style and using that).

--
Cheers
macropod

"Chris" wrote in message news
Everytime you insert a footer into a Word document, it adds a paragraph
symbol which raises the footer on the page. Does anyone know of a way to
stop this. I can write a macro in VBA which I could then access from the
Developer tab but I would prefer to have users select footer from the Insert
tab and not have an extra paragraph symbol. I have looked at modifying
ribbons in Word 2007 but it seems, that even with an additional program, I
can't add a button to the Insert ribbon. I would be grateful for any
suggestions.
--
Thanks.
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Thanks but the problem is that if you record your own footer, when it is
inserted it then has the paragraph symbol after your recorded footer plus an
extra one below pushing the footer up. I want to replace the paragraph
symbol that always sits in a header or footer with my own header and footer.
Even if I delete the extra paragraph symbol and record the footer again, it
puts it back in. Changing the paragraph spacing to a minus setting only
pushes the footer up further.
--
Thanks.
Chris

"Chris" wrote in message news
Everytime you insert a footer into a Word document, it adds a paragraph
symbol which raises the footer on the page. Does anyone know of a way to
stop this. I can write a macro in VBA which I could then access from the
Developer tab but I would prefer to have users select footer from the Insert
tab and not have an extra paragraph symbol. I have looked at modifying
ribbons in Word 2007 but it seems, that even with an additional program, I
can't add a button to the Insert ribbon. I would be grateful for any
suggestions.
--
Thanks.
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Chris,

Perhaps the problem lies in the footer you recorded. Without more detail it's hard to say.

However, if you insert text using code along the lines of:

Sub TypeFooter()
ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Footers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Range.Text = "Hello World"
End Sub

you only get the one paragraph mark.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Chris" wrote in message news
Everytime you insert a footer into a Word document, it adds a paragraph
symbol which raises the footer on the page. Does anyone know of a way to
stop this. I can write a macro in VBA which I could then access from the
Developer tab but I would prefer to have users select footer from the Insert
tab and not have an extra paragraph symbol. I have looked at modifying
ribbons in Word 2007 but it seems, that even with an additional program, I
can't add a button to the Insert ribbon. I would be grateful for any
suggestions.
--
Thanks.
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Yes, that works thanks. I have also realised that if I change the "from
edge" footer setting in Page Setup this achieves the same thing. I should
have thought of that before. Thanks very much for your help.
--
Thanks.
Chris

"Chris" wrote in message news Everytime you insert a footer into a Word document, it adds a paragraph
symbol which raises the footer on the page. Does anyone know of a way to
stop this. I can write a macro in VBA which I could then access from the
Developer tab but I would prefer to have users select footer from the Insert
tab and not have an extra paragraph symbol. I have looked at modifying
ribbons in Word 2007 but it seems, that even with an additional program, I
can't add a button to the Insert ribbon. I would be grateful for any
suggestions.
--
Thanks.
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a longstanding complaint of mine. No matter how carefully you select
text without the paragraph mark and paste in a header/footer including the
paragraph mark, Word will still add an empty paragraph. I have found no way
around this other than to delete the excess paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org