Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jprince Jprince is offline

Default Header linked to unrelated header

Hi,

I have set up headers to include chapter headings. There is a glitch, however.

The header of one section appears to be linked to a header in an unrelated
section earlier in the document. If I change the chapter name in one, it
changes in the other.

--The headers are not linked in Word.

--To put the chapter name in the header initially, I inserted a field for
the chapter name.

--The field is based on the Title field in FileProperties.

I'm concerned that it is a bug in my template.

As a workaround, I have unlinked all of my sections. But now the developers
who use the template have to manually update the guide name (also a field in
the header) in every section.

Can anyone give me some suggestions for troubleshooting and fixing the
problem, please?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

How are you inserting chapter names in headers? If you were using the
StyleRef field, you wouldn't need any section breaks at all (unless
other header/footer contents differ between sections). See the "How to
insert a StyleRef field" section of the article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

If you do need multiple headers, you have to consider the fact that,
in Word, each section can have up to three different headers (and
footers), namely, if "Different odd and even" and "Different first
page" are both checked in File | Page Setup, Layout tab. And
linking/unlinking must be done separately for each type of header
(footer). For more, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jprince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

You do not need section breaks to change your headers; you may be using them
for a different purpose. Look into the StyleRef field.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jprince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

--To put the chapter name in the header initially, I inserted a field for
the chapter name.

--The field is based on the Title field in FileProperties.

There can be only one Title property in a given document. If your header
contains a TITLE field, then of course it will be the same for all chapters.
As others have suggested, a StyleRef field is probably what you're looking
for instead.

"Jprince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jprince Jprince is offline

Thanks to everyone who replied. Clearly, I was very confused.

I had added the title to headers using FileProperties. On the Summary tab,
I typed the guide's title in the Title field. However, I found that the title
was not updating in the headers for whatever reason.

Instead, I have now inserted fields on the cover page and in the headers.
For each field, I chose StyleRef, and then selected the style for the
document title. It works now.

Thanks again everybody,
Jean

"Jprince" wrote in message
[...]

Header Table Aurora Microsoft Word Help 1 May 25th 06 11:25 PM
Mail Merge with separate Source Header document Singlej Mailmerge 2 March 29th 06 02:19 PM
On merge,"Same as Previous" re-enabled and section2 header overwri Warewell Mailmerge 1 November 30th 05 04:15 PM
Linked table header elillis Tables 1 July 18th 05 02:25 PM
Linked contents diff. headers Flemming Dahl Microsoft Word Help 2 May 25th 05 10:29 PM