Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JackM48 JackM48 is offline

Default Using all office apps, long response for "Save As" function.

I have Office 2003 Std. All 3 apps take too long to save a new or updated
version of a doc/xls/pps, etc. After I click on "Save As" everything seems
to freeze or stop, sometimes for over a minute, frequently it never
unfreezes. I cannot tell a pattern, but it has gotten worse over the last 2
weeks.

I have a new laptop with plenty of RAM and hard drive space. When I check
the Windows Task Manager, the System Idle Process will be at 98% or more...no
activity for the app. I'm not sure where to look for help as I have
downloaded all updates for Office and my OS, XP Home.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

This is usually cause because you're using Norton antivirus and the
Office plug in gets in the way.

You can disable the office plugin without issue to speed up the
process.

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified, Editor/TechTrax

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:24:02 -0800, JackM48
wrote:

I have Office 2003 Std. All 3 apps take too long to save a new or updated
version of a doc/xls/pps, etc. After I click on "Save As" everything seems
to freeze or stop, sometimes for over a minute, frequently it never
unfreezes. I cannot tell a pattern, but it has gotten worse over the last 2
weeks.

I have a new laptop with plenty of RAM and hard drive space. When I check
the Windows Task Manager, the System Idle Process will be at 98% or more...no
activity for the app. I'm not sure where to look for help as I have
downloaded all updates for Office and my OS, XP Home.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.

JackM48 wrote:
I have Office 2003 Std. All 3 apps take too long to save a new or updated
version of a doc/xls/pps, etc. After I click on "Save As" everything seems
to freeze or stop, sometimes for over a minute, frequently it never
unfreezes. I cannot tell a pattern, but it has gotten worse over the last 2
weeks.

I have a new laptop with plenty of RAM and hard drive space. When I check
the Windows Task Manager, the System Idle Process will be at 98% or more...no
activity for the app. I'm not sure where to look for help as I have
downloaded all updates for Office and my OS, XP Home.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JackM48 JackM48 is offline

Thank you for your reply, but I need some clarification. I am using Panda AV
and I cannot find anywhere to disable a "Plugin". Can you give me an idea
of where to look? I appreciate the links you included, I may order one of
the books referenced.

JackM48

wrote:

I have Office 2003 Std. All 3 apps take too long to save a new or updated
version of a doc/xls/pps, etc. After I click on "Save As" everything seems
to freeze or stop, sometimes for over a minute, frequently it never
unfreezes. I cannot tell a pattern, but it has gotten worse over the last 2
weeks.

I have a new laptop with plenty of RAM and hard drive space. When I check
the Windows Task Manager, the System Idle Process will be at 98% or more...no
activity for the app. I'm not sure where to look for help as I have
downloaded all updates for Office and my OS, XP Home.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP Dian D. Chapman, MVP is offline

Very sorry, but I'm not familiar with that software. So I can only
suggest that you nose around within the options to see if there is an
option that mentions "all documents" or some such reference.

But, as suggested, also check to see if you're mapped to unnecessary
network drives. That would cause your laptop to "hunt" for connections
that aren't currently there, which would be another common reason for
such a delay...particularly with laptops that are often setup to
connect to office networks when logged in.

Good luck!

Dian ~