Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cartaphilus Cartaphilus is offline

Default How do I insert email item into Word?

I want to insert an email message from my Outlook inbox into a word document
as an embedded object, showing only the "envelope" icon and caption.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert email item into Word?

Here are the steps to insert an email message from Outlook into a Word document as an embedded object:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and create a new document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Text" section of the ribbon, click on the "Object" button.
  4. In the "Object" dialog box, select the "Create from File" tab.
  5. Click on the "Browse" button and navigate to the email message you want to insert.
  6. Select the email message file and click on the "Insert" button.
  7. In the "Object" dialog box, check the box next to "Display as icon".
  8. Click on the "Change Icon" button to select a different icon if desired.
  9. Click on the "OK" button to insert the email message as an embedded object in the Word document.

Now you should see an envelope icon in your Word document, representing the embedded email message. You can double-click on the icon to open the email message in Outlook, or right-click on the icon to access additional options.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

Insert - Object - from a file

"Cartaphilus" wrote in message
I want to insert an email message from my Outlook inbox into a word document
as an embedded object, showing only the "envelope" icon and caption.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

Additional information.
You readers will also have to have Outlook installed.
That may not be the case if the reader uses another word processor that does not include MS Office,
but is able to convert Word documents to his/her word processor.

"Cartaphilus" wrote in message
I want to insert an email message from my Outlook inbox into a word document
as an embedded object, showing only the "envelope" icon and caption.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cartaphilus Cartaphilus is offline

Unfortunately, the object I want to insert isn't a file. It's an Outlook
email message. Unless I'm missing something, you can't use "browse" to find
and select one email message sitting in your Outlook inbox...?

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

Insert - Object - from a file

"Cartaphilus" wrote in message
I want to insert an email message from my Outlook inbox into a word document
as an embedded object, showing only the "envelope" icon and caption.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cartaphilus Cartaphilus is offline

Yup, I thought about, and I even figured out how to do it. It's just that
it's a couple of step process and feels a little kludgey. I could have sworn
that earlier versions of Office had this capability, but maybe my memory is
getting soft...sigh

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

Insert - Object - from a file

"Cartaphilus" wrote in message
I want to insert an email message from my Outlook inbox into a word document
as an embedded object, showing only the "envelope" icon and caption.

Mark Tewk Mark Tewk is offline
Junior Member

I can insert an outlook message into my word document - unfortunately the e-mail envelope icon doesn't get inserted too... is this some secret magic icon... can you tell me where I can find the envelope icon?

Bobby Jake Bobby Jake is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tewk View Post
I can insert an outlook message into my word document - unfortunately the e-mail envelope icon doesn't get inserted too... is this some secret magic icon... can you tell me where I can find the envelope icon?
Many icons are found in .dll files (shell32.dll is a good one). The envelope icon you want is in Program Files\Outlook Express\msoeres.dll. At least, this is where I found it using Word 2010 and Windows XP Professional. Good luck.
Perrinator Perrinator is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

Have you thought about saving the message as a file?

"Cartaphilus" wrote in message
Unfortunately, the object I want to insert isn't a file. It's an Outlook
email message. Unless I'm missing something, you can't use "browse" to find
and select one email message sitting in your Outlook inbox...?

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

Insert - Object - from a file

"Cartaphilus"
wrote in message
I want to insert an email message from my Outlook inbox into a word document
as an embedded object, showing only the "envelope" icon and caption.

Hi,

I recently stumbled upon this post and I find it interesting. I managed to uhm, 'solve' your problem. Well, since you know how to embed the object, you just need to change the look of the icon right? I'm using Word 2007, so here's my proposed solution:

1. Click the "Display as icon" checkbox and click the "Change Icon" button. (assuming you have arrived to this stage)

2. A "Change Icon" dialog box appears. Click the "Browse" button to look for a suitable icon in your C drive.

3. In Word 2007, the Microsoft Outlook icons are located in this folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\. You can copy this folder path and paste it into the address bar of the dialog box. After that, select the "Outlook.exe" filename and click the "Open" button.

4. You are now back at the "Change Icon" dialog box. Note that the previously empty Icon box is now loaded with several Outlook icons. You can scroll through the choices and select the icon that you like. In the "Caption" textbox, type in the description and click the "OK" button.

5. You are back at the "Object" dialog box. Note that both the icon and caption have changed. Click the "OK" button.

And that's it Erm, just in case you're confused, well, I made a post on this. You can visit this link to view the screenshots too -- http://perrinator.com/change-the-ico...ject-word-2007

Cheers!
Perrin
www.perrinator.com

Last edited by Perrinator : August 22nd 12 at 09:10 AM