Don

Default How do you set the character pitch?

Is it possible to set a fixed character pitch in Word 2003?
Treesy

You'll want to go into Format Paragraph and you can change the spacing
between letters and between lines. I'm assuming that is what mean (It's been
so long since I've used a typewriter, I can't remember exactly what the pitch
is )

Is it possible to set a fixed character pitch in Word 2003?

Jay Freedman

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:31:04 -0800, Don
wrote:

Is it possible to set a fixed character pitch in Word 2003?

Whether text has a fixed or variable pitch is determined by the font
you apply to it. "Proportional" fonts have variable pitch, and
"nonproportional" ones have fixed pitch.

There are only a few common nonproportional fonts in Windows: Courier
New and Lucida Sans Typewriter are the usual suspects.

For both of those fonts, it's convenient to remember that the point
size multiplied by the pitch (characters per inch) is 120 at all
reasonable sizes. In other words, 10 pt text will be 12-pitch, and 12
pt text will be 10-pitch.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
CyberTaz

For proportional fonts, about the only control available is in
FormatFontCharacter Spacing where you can Expand or Condense the text. How
effective this is for your requirements may be questionable.

LOL |:)

Is it possible to set a fixed character pitch in Word 2003?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do you set the character pitch?

Setting a Fixed Character Pitch in Word 2003
  1. Open the Word document in which you want to set the character pitch.
  2. Click on the "Format" menu at the top of the screen.
  3. Select "Font" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Font" dialog box that appears, click on the "Advanced" tab.
  5. In the "Advanced" tab, you will see a section called "Character Spacing". Here, you can set the character pitch by selecting "Fixed" from the "Spacing" drop-down menu.
  6. Once you have selected "Fixed", you can enter the desired character pitch in the "Points" field. The default value is 12 points.
  7. Click "OK" to save your changes and close the "Font" dialog box.

That's it! Your character pitch is now set to a fixed value. This means that all characters in your document will be spaced out evenly, regardless of their width. Keep in mind that this setting will apply to the entire document, so if you want to change the character pitch for a specific section, you will need to select that section first and then follow the same steps.