Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flowe flowe is offline

Default Word 2000 - shortcuts Ctrl+ up/dn/pgup/pgdn don't work

Hi all

The shortcuts for cursor movement nearly all work alright, eg. Ctrl+right
moves the cursor ahead by one word, etc.

But the shortcuts Ctrl+up/dn/pgup/pgdn for previous/next paragraph and
last/next page don't work. The same keys separately work as expected.

I can reassign those shortcuts to the commands - but no go.
I can assign any other key to those same commands - no go.
So it's not a keyborad issue.

I've tried several recommendations in this NG here but didn't succeed.

BTW: it's Word 2000 SP3
Thanks for your help
flowe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Take a look under Tools/Options/General and make sure the WP options,
Navigation and Help, are not enabled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"flowe" wrote in message
Hi all

The shortcuts for cursor movement nearly all work alright, eg.
Ctrl+right
moves the cursor ahead by one word, etc.

But the shortcuts Ctrl+up/dn/pgup/pgdn for previous/next paragraph
and
last/next page don't work. The same keys separately work as
expected.

I can reassign those shortcuts to the commands - but no go.
I can assign any other key to those same commands - no go.
So it's not a keyborad issue.

I've tried several recommendations in this NG here but didn't
succeed.

BTW: it's Word 2000 SP3
Thanks for your help
flowe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flowe flowe is offline

"Beth Melton" wrote:
Take a look under Tools/Options/General and make sure the WP options,
Navigation and Help, are not enabled.

Under Tools/Options/General there are NO WordPerfect Options,
most likely because this the German version.
BTW: I have Adobe Reader 7.0.5

Thanks, flowe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"flowe" wrote in message
Hi all

The shortcuts for cursor movement nearly all work alright, eg.
Ctrl+right
moves the cursor ahead by one word, etc.

But the shortcuts Ctrl+up/dn/pgup/pgdn for previous/next paragraph
and
last/next page don't work. The same keys separately work as
expected.

I can reassign those shortcuts to the commands - but no go.
I can assign any other key to those same commands - no go.
So it's not a keyborad issue.

I've tried several recommendations in this NG here but didn't
succeed.

BTW: it's Word 2000 SP3
Thanks for your help
flowe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

At the bottom of the vertical scroll bar there is a set of dbl arrow buttons
with a round button between them - these are Browse By controls. If the
arrows are blue, it means that they have been set to Browse By... Something
other than By Page. If this is the problem...

Click the round button, select By Page - the arrows will return to black &
the keystrokes will work as you expect.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/27/06 11:38 AM, in article
, "flowe"

"flowe" wrote in message
Hi all

The shortcuts for cursor movement nearly all work alright, eg.
Ctrl+right
moves the cursor ahead by one word, etc.

But the shortcuts Ctrl+up/dn/pgup/pgdn for previous/next paragraph
and
last/next page don't work. The same keys separately work as
expected.

I can reassign those shortcuts to the commands - but no go.
I can assign any other key to those same commands - no go.
So it's not a keyborad issue.

I've tried several recommendations in this NG here but didn't
succeed.

BTW: it's Word 2000 SP3
Thanks for your help
flowe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you have the Adobe add-in installed then I suspect the WP options
are enabled. Unfortunately even though they aren't available in the UI
in the German version they can still be enabled/disabled. Adobe is
notorious for changing options that have nothing to do with their
add-in. I suspect it's because they use the macro recorder and don't
know how to clean their code. sigh

In any event , if they are enabled then this macro should correct the
issue:

'*****Start Macro
Sub DisableWPOptions()
With Options
.WPHelp = False
.WPDocNavKeys = False
End With
End Sub
'****End Macro

To use the above macro:
- Copy the lines between Sub/End Sub
- In Word go to Tools/Macro/Macros
- Type DisableWPOptions for the Macro name
- Click "Create" to open the Visual Basic Editor
- Paste the copied code between Sub DisableWPOptions and End Sub
- Place your insertion point in the code
- Press F5 to run the macro

Note once you have used the macro you can delete it unless you want to
preserver it for future reference. Although...if you are using the
Adobe 7 add-in for Word it should discard your changes for you since
in Adobe's infinite developing wisdom, they elected to correct another
issue they created by discarding all changes to your Normal.dot when
you exit Word. another sigh So if you do wish to save the macro,
click the Save button in the window for Visual Basic Editor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"flowe" wrote in message
"Beth Melton" wrote:
Take a look under Tools/Options/General and make sure the WP
options,
Navigation and Help, are not enabled.

Under Tools/Options/General there are NO WordPerfect Options,
most likely because this the German version.
BTW: I have Adobe Reader 7.0.5

Thanks, flowe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
flowe flowe is offline

To Beth Melton and CyberTaz

I'm sorry not to respond in time to your valued answers. I didn't get any
notifications anymore nor have I been able to access this NG. Using my
Favorite entry, I permanantly got an error message about this service beeing
temporarily inaccessible. Then I've been any a couple of days. I only found
it now after a clicking marathon - dear old MS persistently tried to feed me
with some German "Services". Might have to do with me using FF browser??

Anyhow: CyberTaz is right - I haven't been aware of this:

*************
At the bottom of the vertical scroll bar there is a set of dbl arrow buttons

with a round button between them - these are Browse By controls. If the
arrows are blue, it means that they have been set to Browse By... Something
other than By Page. If this is the problem...
Click the round button, select By Page - the arrows will return to black &

the keystrokes will work as you expect.

To Beth Melton: I'm not aware of any installed Adobe Add-in for Word - I'm
using PDF995 for making pdf documents. This doesn't exclude that somebody
tampered with the settings now corrected according to CyberTaz. I'll keep an
eye on it.

Thanks again
flowe