Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Expando1 Expando1 is offline

Default How do I add commands to the ribbon in Word2007?

I'm trying to customize a document template. I'd like to have commands on
the menu bar (File, Edit, View, Insert.., etc.) that I can click on and which
will be populated with selections to auto-fill form fields in the document.
I've done this in Word 2003 but can't figure out how it's done in 2007. In
2003, I right click on the menu bar, select customize, select the commands
tab, then under categories select "New Menu" and drag it up to the menu
bar...viola, done! How is this done is Word 2007?

As a specific example, I'd like one menu command labeled "Diagnosis" and
another "Recommendations". The "diagnosis" tab will have a list of
selectable diseases which will insert into the form when selected. Likewise
for the "recommendations" tab.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can easily customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). You could
only customize the Ribbon if you were skilled in some arcane sort of
programming.

On Aug 1, 2:20*pm, Expando1
wrote:
I'm trying to customize a document template. *I'd like to have commands on
the menu bar (File, Edit, View, Insert.., etc.) that I can click on and which
will be populated with selections to auto-fill form fields in the document. *
I've done this in Word 2003 but can't figure out how it's done in 2007. *In
2003, I right click on the menu bar, select customize, select the commands
tab, then under categories select "New Menu" and drag it up to the menu
bar...viola, done! *How is this done is Word 2007?

As a specific example, I'd like one menu command labeled "Diagnosis" and
another "Recommendations". *The "diagnosis" tab will have a list of
selectable diseases which will insert into the form when selected. *Likewise
for the "recommendations" tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Peter,

Here's a tip. If you don't know the answer, it is ok to leave the question
to those who do.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My answer is perfectly correct. Your webpage to which Jay directed the
poster even admits that the programming is difficult, and (sorry to
say) your instructions are incomprehensible to anyone who isn't very
familiar with programming in that language -- "The complete workings
and writing of the RibbonXML script shown above is beyond the scope of
this page. However, I hope after looking at it closely that you will
see that it consists of a well ordered hierarchical structure of
instructions."

Whereas my suggestion to put the needed operations in the QAT is much
easier to carry out.

wrote:
I'm trying to customize a document template. I'd like to have
commands on the menu bar (File, Edit, View, Insert.., etc.) that I
can click on and which will be populated with selections to
auto-fill form fields in the document. I've done this in Word 2003
but can't figure out how it's done in 2007. In 2003, I right click
on the menu bar, select customize, select the commands tab, then
under categories select "New Menu" and drag it up to the menu
bar...viola, done! How is this done is Word 2007?

As a specific example, I'd like one menu command labeled "Diagnosis"
and another "Recommendations". The "diagnosis" tab will have a list
of selectable diseases which will insert into the form when
selected. Likewise for the "recommendations" tab.

--
Greg Maxey - *Word MVP

My web sitehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Once again you assume that the whole world marches to your drummer. The
user did not ask the group collectively or you specificaly for an opinion on
what is easier. He asked how to add tabs and commands to the ribbon.

Once again you make statements not supported by facts. The word "difficult"
does not appear anywhere on the webpage in question. Despite your
inabilitity to comprendend, I have recieved several dozens of feedback on
the webpage indicating that it was just the thing the person, many of them
complete novices to XML, needed to get started with ribbon customization.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A good teacher recognizes when his students are having difficulty with
the material, and pitches his approach appropriately. If something is
"beyond the scope of this page," then "this page" is not suitable
(i.e., is difficult) for someone not familiar with such things as "a
well-ordered hierarchical struture of instructions," especially when
that "well-ordered structure" can only be discerned by "looking at it
closely." (And that was only the very first operation described.) It
reminds me of the joke about the mathematician giving a lecture who
says, "And it is obvious that ..." and rushes out of the room and
returns half an hour later and continues, "Yes, it is obvious
that ....."

Anmd the fact that OP calls the Ribbon the "menu bar" suggests that he
is not all that familiar with Word2007 and thus not at all familiar
with "RibbonXML."

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:20:01 -0700, Expando1
wrote:

I'm trying to customize a document template. I'd like to have commands on
the menu bar (File, Edit, View, Insert.., etc.) that I can click on and which
will be populated with selections to auto-fill form fields in the document.
I've done this in Word 2003 but can't figure out how it's done in 2007. In
2003, I right click on the menu bar, select customize, select the commands
tab, then under categories select "New Menu" and drag it up to the menu
bar...viola, done! How is this done is Word 2007?

As a specific example, I'd like one menu command labeled "Diagnosis" and
another "Recommendations". The "diagnosis" tab will have a list of
selectable diseases which will insert into the form when selected. Likewise
for the "recommendations" tab.

How do I re-enable commands on the ribbon. Hal in NY Microsoft Word Help 1 June 2nd 09 02:17 AM
Menu commands WJ New Users 1 May 8th 09 01:11 AM
custom key commands grammatim[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 15 August 11th 08 09:48 PM
Create/Modify Ribbon in Word2007 EMT_RR Microsoft Word Help 1 April 11th 08 07:56 PM
PCL Print Commands Jim Nicholls Mailmerge 2 August 12th 05 09:02 PM