Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] jonella@cameron.edu is offline

Default Mail merge Labels Excel to Word - Need Help with format of numbers

I am trying to make labels with Word 2003 using data from an Excel 2003
spreadsheet. The problem concerns one column that has four digit numbers,
some of which begin with zeroes. The zeroes are necessary. I did the merge
but when the labels appear in Word, there are no zeroes. How can I format
the column so that when I perform the merge in Word they have the leading
zeroes, and should the column be formatted in Excel or Word? Thanks.
--
Jon Ella Long
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you know that your numbers will only ever have 4 digits, if you have

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber }

in Word, try

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#0000 }

instead (use Alt-F9 in Word to toggle between "field code" and "field
result" view.

You can also modify the way your data is stored in Excel, but in this case
it's probably harder than fixing it in Word.

Peter Jamieson
" wrote in
message ...