Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave C Dave C is offline

Default Merge field in fillin field prompt

I am designing a mail merge form where I need the user to input an
individual's manager's name. I'd be grateful to know how to include a merge
field in the fillin field prompt so the prompt says ... "please enter the
manager's name for ...mergename

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It would be better if you amended the data source to include the managers'
names, however what I suspect you are looking for is

{ ASK mName "Insert the manager's name for { MERGEFIELD Namefield }" }
which will prompt for each record. Reproduce the name in the document with a
REf field {REF mName}

Use CTRL+F9 for the bracket pairs and choose the appropriate fieldname freom
your data source in place of 'Namefield'.

Dave C wrote:
I am designing a mail merge form where I need the user to input an
individual's manager's name. I'd be grateful to know how to include a
merge field in the fillin field prompt so the prompt says ... "please
enter the manager's name for ...mergename

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave C Dave C is offline

Thanks for your reponse Graham.
I'm afraid I'm having difficulty with the merge field pulling into the
prompt. I'm putting the following into the prompt box when adding the ask
field, but exactly the same text is being displyed to the user when the
document document is opened, rather than the data contained in the merge
field.

{ ASK LineManager "Please enter the name of the line manager for {
MERGEFIELD PERS_KNOWN_AS }" }

Any help will again be gratefully received.

FillIn Merge Field LEC[_3_] Mailmerge 1 January 24th 08 03:05 AM
Fillin Merge Field Brenda A. Reid Mailmerge 1 November 13th 07 03:28 PM
Word Field Type - Fill In Prompt Problem (Word Insert Field in .NE Evan Putranto Mailmerge 10 October 9th 07 10:28 AM
how to suppress Invalid Merge Field prompt Francisc Molnar Mailmerge 1 April 4th 06 09:44 AM
Fillin-field Becksie Mailmerge 4 December 9th 05 10:53 AM