Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike2001 Mike2001 is offline

Default Headings, STYLEREF and Headers

Word 97. OK, I am really struggling to get a doc formatted correctly.
The header is creating the major problems.
I have the document sectioned using heading styles (not section
breaks). Too many section breaks tend create instability in doc.
Heading 1 = chapter
Heading 2 = topic within chapter

I am using the styleref in the header to pull from headings. Both
headings I want to display in header

Prob 1: Heading 1 will be the only text on the page (i.e. Section 1 -
Awareness) and I would like to leave it out of the header on that
page.

Prob 2: Heading 2 is not on the Heading 1 page so the STYLEREF picks
up the Heading 2 item from the previous page. And even if I could get
it to pick up from the next page I still would like to leave it out of
the header on the Heading 1 page.

Prob 3: I would like to not have the Heading 2 info displayed in the
header on the same page - resulting in the text being repeated on the
same page
-or-
Some how hide the heading 2 text so it will not display the text
itself but be picked up in the header STYLEREF. Hidden text in not
picked up by STYLEREF and white text displays as white in the TOC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need section breaks. Don't worry about instability; I've created many a
book with dozens of sections and never had a problem. StyleRef is good as
far as it goes (and you can definitely do some cool things with it; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm), but you also need the
flexibility of having three headers/footers per section (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm).

"Mike2001" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike2001 Mike2001 is offline

Thanks Susanne, I have toyed the ideas of sections, the advantages are
obvious. In the past I have been advised to eliminate section breaks
to stabilize a document. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. BTW
your article is quite interesting and useful.