Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mcp6453 mcp6453 is offline

Default Position of Tabs and Indents

Word 2003: Could someone please explain to me why a tab placed by
clicking on the formatting bar is sometimes placed at strange positions,
such as 0.53" instead of 0.5"? The same behavior happens with Hanging
Indents. I know how to correct the problem, but I don't know how to
prevent it. It's very annoying.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Try to display the Drawing toolbar. Then select Draw Grid. If "Snap objects
to grid" is turned on, the tabs, indents, etc. will snap to positions defined
by the "Horizontal space" set in the Drawing Grid dialog box. For example, if
the value is set to 0,53" (or a value in another unit that equals 0,53"),
your tabs will by default snap to 0,53", 1,06", 1,59", etc. Note, however,
that you can place a tab in any position if you press and hold the Alt key
while you drag the tab (the Alt key temporarily overrides the grid settings).

You can change the grid settings as you wish. If you click the "Default"
button in the Drawing Grid dialog box, your changes will apply to all _new_
documents you create based on Normal.dot. To save the changes to Normal.dot
at once, press and hold the Shift key while you select File menu Save All.
If a dialog box opens, asking whether to save changes to Normal.dot, click
Yes.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"mcp6453" wrote:

Word 2003: Could someone please explain to me why a tab placed by
clicking on the formatting bar is sometimes placed at strange positions,
such as 0.53" instead of 0.5"? The same behavior happens with Hanging
Indents. I know how to correct the problem, but I don't know how to
prevent it. It's very annoying.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mcp6453 mcp6453 is offline

Lene Fredborg wrote:
[...]