Alasdair Crockett

Default Headers & Footers Again!

Hi Folks, yet another small problem I am encountering with headers & footers.
(My op system is windows XP pro & WORD 2000, my night class is using windows
98)
When I get the" House Style Sheet" for various test papers the header &
footer information is always different, ie:sometimes the header needs to
contain canditate name and centre number(alignment centre) automatic file
name (aligned right) Footer may be automatic field date, English format
(alignment left) automatic page number(aligned right)etc.(this always varies
with each test paper)my problem is that I cannot insert most of these items
without the whole thing moving with the insertion of the second requested
alignment.I can acheive the above by a mixture of tabbing and using the space
bar but I dont think the Examiners when my final test comes and they toggle
on the pilcrow to see my formatting will appreciate my method for inserting
required alignments! Can anyone
tell me what I am doing wrong ? I have read the article on using headers &
footers at earthlink.net but it does not seem to address my problem, or maybe
the way I am doing the insertions is ok. Would someone please be kind enough
to put me straight please.
Regards,
..
--
Alasdair
Stefan Blom

You can set tab stops with the desired alignment (from FormatTabs).
If you need more information about tabs, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/SettingTabs.htm.

Alternatively, you can use a single-row table in the header (footer)
with a column for each entry and then format the text of the cells to
have the desired alignment.

--
Stefan Blom

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote
in message ...

.
--
Alasdair

Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Stefan,
Going right now to grab the "Setting Tabs" info. I have my first Proper
Word Exam tonight - 7pm U.K. time, so just in time to do some fast reading :-)
Kindest Regards,
Alasdair.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

Look at the formatting of the header and footer styles. They have center
tabs and right tabs set in them by default. This does not involve alignment!
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
[...]

TF

That's quite correct but if you have changed the page margins from
Microsoft's defaults, you will need to go into the Headers and Footers
STYLES and change the tab stops for Centre and Right to fit the new page
width.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
: Look at the formatting of the header and footer styles. They have center
: tabs and right tabs set in them by default. This does not involve
alignment!
: --
:
: Charles Kenyon
:
: Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
:
: Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
: Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
:
: See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is awesome!
: --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
&
: footers at earthlink.net but it does not seem to address my problem, or
: maybe
: the way I am doing the insertions is ok. Would someone please be kind
: enough
: to put me straight please.
: Regards,
: .
: --
: Alasdair
:
:

Alasdair Crockett

Thank you both,
(Charles & Terry) I found both your answers of use.
As A little footnote to this : I sat the first part of my Clait Plus exam
last night and got everything just right in the time allowed(thank you guys)
then with 5 minutes to go my night class pc locked up and would not let me
save my work or print it !(I had been making saves all through the 2 hour
period) The tutor could not even fix the problem and in the end he had to
switch off the pc (Alasdair crys here ;-( ) I lost all my work (as would be
Expected on win 98) and even my floppy was scrambled except for original
files but not the new test document! As a cosolation prize I will be allowed
to resit part 1 on Thursday at a different night
school. I just hope the pc's there are better than the one i worked on last
night.
So Thanks again to you all,
Kindest Regards,
Alasdair.
"TF" wrote:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

Note, you should _not_ be dealing with files on a floppy from within Word.

If you want to be able to use your documents, when working with in Word, act
as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to CDRW/CDR drives as
well.)
Don't use Word to:
Open a document on a floppy
Print a document on a floppy
Edit a document on a floppy
Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)

Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!

Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy it back and forth
using Windows.

I know that for some with shared computers (libraries) this is a tough
prescription. All I can recommend for that is to use a brand new formatted
disk each time you save and don't do any editing.

--

"TF" wrote:

[...]

Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Charles,
I will have to give this one to my tutor:-) as we are told to save
everything to floppy as they are school computers that we use for night
class,and the kids are always trashing them in some way or another!
Regards,
Alasdair.

"TF" wrote:

[...]

TF

Alasdair

The correct procedure should be to always save to the local hard drive. When
you have finished for the lesson, copy you work to a floppy using Windows
Explorer. Vice versa when you have your next lesson, copy your work from the
floppy to the local hard disk first. I'm sure that your tutor will
understand why. Your experience was a pretty good example of why not!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: That's quite correct but if you have changed the page margins from
: Microsoft's defaults, you will need to go into the Headers and
Footers
: STYLES and change the tab stops for Centre and Right to fit the new
page
: width.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: "Charles Kenyon" wrote in
: message ...
: : Look at the formatting of the header and footer styles. They have
: center
: : tabs and right tabs set in them by default. This does not involve
: alignment!
: : --
: :
: : Charles Kenyon
: :
: : --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: : and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: : from my ignorance and your wisdom.
: :
: : "Alasdair Crockett"
wrote in
: : message ...
: : Hi Folks, yet another small problem I am encountering with
headers &
: : footers.
: : (My op system is windows XP pro & WORD 2000, my night class is
using
: : windows
: : 98)
: : When I get the" House Style Sheet" for various test papers the
header
: &
[...]
: : .
: : --
: : Alasdair
: :
: :
:
:
:
:
:
:

TF

Cut off ones nose to spite ones face springs to mind!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: On many school and library computers, however, saving to the HD is not
: permitted.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Alasdair
:
[...]
: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
[...]
: : "TF" wrote:
: :
[...]
: : : --
: : :
: : : Charles Kenyon
: : :
: : : --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
: : : This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
: : : and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
: : : from my ignorance and your wisdom.
: : :
: : : "Alasdair Crockett"
: wrote in
: : : message
: ...
: : : Hi Folks, yet another small problem I am encountering with
: headers &
: : : footers.
: : : (My op system is windows XP pro & WORD 2000, my night class
is
: using
: : : windows
: : : 98)
: : : When I get the" House Style Sheet" for various test papers
the
: header
: : &
[...]
: : : .
: : : --
: : : Alasdair
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:

Alasdair Crockett

Dear Stefan, TF, Charles & Suzanne,
My heartfelt thanks to you all for your advice, Comments, & observations
they are all of intrest for many reasons ( Information, observation, fun &
home truths!)
:-) I thank you one and all. But As I said in an earlier post after
following all the rules and tutorials on header & footers and setting tabs I
still found myself with the problem of the mysterious moving of my text
within the header/footer. After inserting my name and candidate # (Centre
Aligned) I had to insert the file name (right aligned) and low and behold the
centre insertion moved right as well! I followed all the rules in the
header/footer tutorial and the rules on setting Tabs but it made no
difference!! I think I will try the Table insertion Idea and see how that
works, The other disadvantage I was at was that I was using an obsolete (well
to me anyway) operating system which I had never used before and that was
Windows 95!( I had to resit part 1 of my exam at a different centre) I am
more than sure I will be back asking you more questions on this subject or
letting you all know if I've managed to solve my mysterious little problem,
I sit part 2 of my Clait Plus exam on Tue 8th of Feb and will let you all
know how it went .
Thanks once again for all your patience, advice & observations they are all
very much appreciated,
Kindest Regards to you all,
Alasdair.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
[...]

: : "TF" wrote:
: :
[...]

It will probably help if you display nonprinting characters so you can see
where your tab characters are. I suspect that either (a) your text overran
one of the tab stops so that you ended up with too many tab characters or
(b) you inserted the tab characters in the wrong place. Also, keep in mind
that you are not changing the alignment of the paragraph; it remains
left-aligned, but you are inserting tab characters (by pressing Tab) to
align your text at the preset tab stops.

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's amazing how seldom users seem to get into trouble. I attribute this

to:

1. Creating relatively brief documents (letters, short papers).

2. Saving infrequently (often not at all until the document is

complete).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
[...]

: : "TF" wrote:
: :
[...]

Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Suzanne,
I always use the Pilcrow to display non printing characters so I can see
where my tab characters are and to check the rest of my document but I still
remain in the dark as to why when the tabs are set correctly my centre
insertion always moves to the right when I insert the "document name"to the
right, so it looks like,
"Alasdair Crockett,26947.Climate." My name & candidate #" should be Centre
aligned and the document name "climate" should be right aligned but when I
enter right align the whole lot moves right! As a point of intrest even my
tutor who is himself studying for his first teaching certificate cant resolve
this issue for me either!
I think I will just have to try the "Columns Idea" or just muddle through
with a mixture of tabbing, spacebar & deleting space bar dots etc till I get
required Information in the right places!
Thanks again for your valuable help,
Regards,
Alasdair.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
[...]

: : "TF" wrote:
: :
[...]

TF

Alasdair

I think that you are slightly misunderstanding the tab types. In the Header
and Footer, by default there are two tabs, a Centre aligned tab (in the
centre) and a right-aligned tab at the right margin.

To use them correctly, you need to type:

TAB Alasdair Crockett, 26947. Climate. TAB My name and Candidate #

The first TAB you enter will move the insertion point to the centre aligned
position of the HorF: the second TAB entered will move the cursor to the
right margin of the HorF for entering the right-aligned text. There is no
need to use any of the alignment buttons because the TABs are already
'aligned' to Centre and Right margin.

If you look at the left hand end of the Ruler, you will see a box with a
letter 'L'. The 'L' represents a left aligned (normal) TAB. If you click on
the box, the tabs will change showing the various types of tabs available -
Left, Centre, Right, Decimal, Bar, First Line Indent and Hanging Indent
(assuming that you have Word 2003).

The reason you may need to edit the Header and Footer Styles is because if
you change the default Page Margins, the Centre and Right alignment
positions change: so you need to match the difference in the Style setting.

Check out Word's Help from more information on Tabs.

Terry

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]
: : ...
: : Alasdair
: :
[...]
: : : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: : :
[...]

: : : "TF" wrote:
: : :
[...]
: : : : --
: : : :
: : : : Charles Kenyon
: : : :
[...]
: : : &
[...]
: : : : .
: : : : --
: : : : Alasdair
: : : :
: : : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:
:
:

As Terry has said (and as I had attempted to say but evidently wasn't clear
enough), there is no need to change the *paragraph* alignment at all. The
paragraph remains left-aligned. You just insert tab characters to place your
centered and right-aligned text at the tab stops provided for this purpose.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
[...]

: : "TF" wrote:
: :
[...]

Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Terry & Suzanne,
I bet you must think I am very slow on the uptake!well sometimes I am :-)
Your advice is very clear cut Terry & backed up by Suzanne I cant go wrong.
I think you should produce an "Idiots Style Guide"for "Monkeys" the monkey
in this case being ME!
(For information Terry I am using Word 2000.)
Your Instructions are very clear cut and for that I thank you.
Kindest Regards to you both,
Alasdair.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

: : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: :
[...]

: : "TF" wrote:
: :
[...]

Alasdair Crockett

Hi Folks, it's me again (Alasdair Crockett),
I just thought that I would let you all know that I sat the final part (for
now)of my exam in my Clait Plus Word Unit and Passed with flying colours :-)
Thanks to you guys and all the Tutorials. I want to thank you all for your
patience and understanding and for always pointing me in the right direction.
The next unit I am undertaking is" Publisher"which is another thing I have
never used before, my choice for this is that our parish magazine has asked
for help in publishing the mag and I thought it would be a good idea if I
could contribute to it at some later stage when I grasp the fundamentals. I
just hope the MVP's at "Publisher" are as good as you Ladies and Gentlemen
:-).
I will be back with you at some stage, when I do the more advanced unit on
word at some point in the future and I'm sure there will be times before that
when I need your valuable help.
So a BIG THANK YOU to you all,
Kindest Regards to you all,
Alasdair Crockett.

"TF" wrote:

Even Suzanne and I will admit that even with our combined experience, Word
still makes monkeys of us something too. If you go to the FAQ site in my
signature block, you will find a pertinent quote from a fellow MVP, Bob
Buckland.

--
Terry
http://word.mvps.org/

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...
: Just a little update for you wonderful People :-)
: I tried out Terry's Suggestion and Praise be it worked like a dream.
: I think I love you all ( for your patience & minds ).
: P.S. ( I really do think you should all write the Idiot/Monkey guide)hehe,
: you would make a fortune.
: Fondest Regards
: Alasdair.
:
:
: "Alasdair Crockett" wrote:
:
: Thanks Terry & Suzanne,
: I bet you must think I am very slow on the uptake!well sometimes I am
:-)
:
:
#
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]

: : : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: : :
[...]
: : : "TF" wrote:
: : :
[...]

Yep, the Publisher MVPs are good folks. Don't be put off by some of the less
civilized denizens of the Publisher NGs, though.

"Alasdair Crockett" wrote in
message ...

:

:

:

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]

: : : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: : :
[...]

: : : "TF" wrote:
: : :
[...]

Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Suzanne,
I promise I wont be put off by - " some of the less
civilized denizens of the Publisher NGs ".
Thanks for your time and encouragement, it means alot to me.
Kindest Regards,
Alasdair.

:

:

:

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]

: : : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: : :
[...]

: : : "TF" wrote:
: : :
[...]

Alasdair Crockett

Thanks Suzanne,
I'm using the old version 2000 but looking at the posts most people seem to
be using 2002 or 2003 but as my night class are using 2000 thats what I'm
using,so we dont get any confusion etc, I just hope they can help me when i
need it like you Word mpvs did when I needed it !
Regards,
Alasdair.

:

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]

: : : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: : :
[...]

: : : "TF" wrote:
: : :
[...]

Many of the Publisher MVPs run all versions. Brian Kvalheim, for example, is
or was a commercial printer and so has to be able to accept files from
multiple versions. I jumped from 97 to 2002 and thought that was a huge
improvement (didn't ever use 2000), but 2003 is even better.

:

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]

: : : "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
: : :
[...]

: : :

Footers & Headers Sitara Lal New Users 2 January 25th 05 06:36 PM
headers and footers, insert auto text greyed out Liz H Microsoft Word Help 2 January 18th 05 01:28 AM
In Word 2003 Can't See Headers & Footers in Print Layout AA Smith Page Layout 3 January 14th 05 05:10 AM
File Size and Headers & Footers Karen P Microsoft Word Help 3 December 29th 04 11:50 PM
Locking headers and footers in word €“ ASAP Selina Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 04:16 PM