Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rhiannon Rhiannon is offline

Default Can I compare more than two merge field values using =AND or =OR?

I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere between 3
and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of - if all of them
come back true, return one block of text, else return another block of text.
It works fine when I try and compare the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2} 2
} ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2} 2
}, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using either the
=AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting piles of these if I
can help it. Thanks muchly!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would suggest that you do the comparing in the data source, moving the
data to Excel of Access to do so if necessary. Both of those programs are
better at manipulating data than Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Rhiannon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rhiannon Rhiannon is offline

Default Can I compare more than two merge field values using =AND or =

Thanks Doug.That may, unfortunately, be where I'm at. I'm hoping there's an
alternative because I'm already close to the max number of columns in the
data source, and I need to compare the mergefields in multiple, unique
combinations, which is why I'm hoping to do it in the word doc itself.

Thanks again!

"Rhiannon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Rhiannon,

You can build a multiple AND test this way:
{IF{={IF{MERGEFIELD 1}= "Y" 1 0}*{IF{MERGEFIELD 2} 2 1 0}*{IF{MERGEFIELD 3}= "text" 1 0}}= 1 "True Text" "False Text"}

Similarly, you can build a multiple OR test this way:
{IF{={IF{MERGEFIELD 1}= "Y" 1 0}+{IF{MERGEFIELD 2} 2 1 0}+{IF{MERGEFIELD 3}= "text" 1 0}} 0 "True Text" "False Text"}

--
Cheers
macropod

"Rhiannon" wrote in message ...
I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere between 3
and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of - if all of them
come back true, return one block of text, else return another block of text.
It works fine when I try and compare the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2} 2
} ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2} 2
}, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using either the
=AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting piles of these if I
can help it. Thanks muchly!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
8Leonie8 8Leonie8 is offline

Hi there,

I'm trying to use the OR function in my Word 2003 document (dutch version),
but I can't get it to work.

I get the following reaction when merging to a new document: Error! Unknown
operator in precondition

Does anyone have an idea why this doesn't work??

"Rhiannon" wrote in message ...
I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere between 3
and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of - if all of them
come back true, return one block of text, else return another block of text.
It works fine when I try and compare the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2} 2
} ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield 2} 2
}, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using either the
=AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting piles of these if I
can help it. Thanks muchly!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Did you enter all the brackets with CTRL+F9?

"Rhiannon" wrote in message
I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere
between 3 and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of
- if all of them come back true, return one block of text, else
return another block of text. It works fine when I try and compare
the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield
2} 2 } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more
mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield
2} 2 }, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } = 1 "true"
"false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using
either the =AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting
piles of these if I can help it. Thanks muchly!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
8Leonie8 8Leonie8 is offline

Yes I did. I even followed the help Peter Jamieson has given in the topic
titled "=AND" He says:

then use right-click and toggle field codes to see the result of that part
of the whole construct to see if you can detect which part is causing the
problem.

If I click toggle field code(I'm not sure if that's the correct English word
for this option, I'm translating from the Dutch version of Word), it seems
every part of the function is working. When I click toggle field code for the
different mergefields first I get:
{ IF { =1+1+1}0 "True text" "False text"}
If I go a step further and click toggle field code for {=1+1+1} I get:
{ IF 30 "True text" "False text"}. So far so good, you'd say, but when I
click toggle field code for the last step I get:
Error! Unknown operator in precondition

Hope I've explained my actions in an understandable way, otherwise let me
know.

gr leonie

"Rhiannon" wrote in message
I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere
between 3 and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of
- if all of them come back true, return one block of text, else
return another block of text. It works fine when I try and compare
the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield
2} 2 } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more
mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE {mergefield
2} 2 }, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } = 1 "true"
"false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using
either the =AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting
piles of these if I can help it. Thanks muchly!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Put a space either side of
thus
{IF 3 0 "True text" "False text"}

"Rhiannon" wrote in message
I'm working in Word 2007. I have a list of mergefields (anywhere
between 3 and 7 depending) that I would like to test the values of
- if all of them come back true, return one block of text, else
return another block of text. It works fine when I try and compare
the values of two mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE
{mergefield 2} 2 } ) } = 1 "true" "false" }

but as soon as I try and compare the values of three or more
mergefields:

{IF { = AND ( { COMPARE {Mergefield 1} = "Y"}, {COMPARE
{mergefield 2} 2 }, { COMPARE {mergefield 3" = "text" } ) } =
1 "true" "false" }

it breaks. Is there a way to expand beyond two comparisons, using
either the =AND or the =OR formulas? I'd rather not start nesting
piles of these if I can help it. Thanks muchly!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham,

Only the space after the operand is required - as shown in my post. Spaces before & after won't do any harm, though.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...