Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles arnett charles arnett is offline

Default Setting up list styles

I use outlining often. In previous versions of word I made a template
almost like the one under lists. I) A) 1). I could use that standard
list but I would like to set the font and margins with the formatting style.
I would like to save that as a template. The problem is if I use my old
template it almost works except level 2 continues the list after level 1.
Level 3 does start new after a level 2 operation. Help on either plan would
be appreciated
charles arnett

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi Charles,

The best way to maintain good control over your numbered lists is to create
styles for the different levels that you use, in which you define the
behavior. This approach is thoroughly explained in "How to create numbered
headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" by Shauna
Kelly at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"charles arnett" wrote:

I use outlining often. In previous versions of word I made a template
almost like the one under lists. I) A) 1). I could use that standard
list but I would like to set the font and margins with the formatting style.
I would like to save that as a template. The problem is if I use my old
template it almost works except level 2 continues the list after level 1.
Level 3 does start new after a level 2 operation. Help on either plan would
be appreciated
charles arnett

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007 the same principles apply but, obviously, the user interface is
quite different.

To create a multilevel list in Word 2007, you can do the following: On the
Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click Define New List Style. Type
a name for your list style. Then click Format, Numbering to access the
multilevel list dialog box. Specify the desired options (for more on those,
see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html). In
particular, associate a paragraph style with each numbering level. You may
have to click the More button to see this option.

Once it has been created, you can see the list style at Home tab |
Multilevel List (under "List Styles"). You can apply numbering to text by
clicking the preview picture, but it will be easier to apply the appropriate
paragraph style (linked to a level of the list).

To modify a list style, right-click the preview (at Home tab | Multilevel
List) and choose Modify. Alternatively, you can modify the list via the
Manage Styles dialog box; this works with any style in Word.

Multilevel lists created without a list style, which includes most lists in
older versions of Word, can be modified as follows: Place the insertion
point in the first level 1 paragraph of the list (for heading numbering,
this means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document). Then click Home
tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP