helbel78

Default Page number from Includetext

We have brought our document footers in using a standard piece of
includetext. I used the normal page number code but I found that on a 3 page
document, it repeated '3' as the page number on all 3 pages.

This bookmark in the includetext document was on the first page, so not sure
why it put page 3 on the merged document unless it was doing a count of the
pages rather than taking the page number - not sure how this could have
happened though when I used the normal { PAGE } code.

Any ideas if there's a problem with bring page numbers in through includetext?
--
Helbel78
Daiya Mitchell

So the IncludeText field is in the footer itself? Did you try specifically
updating that field?

Do your document footers really change frequently?

On 9/16/05 10:21 AM, "helbel78" wrote:

We have brought our document footers in using a standard piece of
includetext. I used the normal page number code but I found that on a 3 page
document, it repeated '3' as the page number on all 3 pages.

This bookmark in the includetext document was on the first page, so not sure
why it put page 3 on the merged document unless it was doing a count of the
pages rather than taking the page number - not sure how this could have
happened though when I used the normal { PAGE } code.

Any ideas if there's a problem with bring page numbers in through includetext?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Charles Kenyon

There are problems with the Page field in general. There is a bug in Word
that is different in different versions (including different SRs).
See http://www.addbalance.com/word/pagexofy.htm or
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm for information on Page
X of Y problems. You may also want to take a look at:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. If it applies
you may also want to look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"helbel78" wrote in message
We have brought our document footers in using a standard piece of
includetext. I used the normal page number code but I found that on a 3
page
document, it repeated '3' as the page number on all 3 pages.

This bookmark in the includetext document was on the first page, so not
sure
why it put page 3 on the merged document unless it was doing a count of
the
pages rather than taking the page number - not sure how this could have
happened though when I used the normal { PAGE } code.

Any ideas if there's a problem with bring page numbers in through
includetext?
--
Helbel78

helbel78

The includetext statement is in the footer of the documents. Then the
standard footer is bookmarked in a separate document that contains all are
includetext statements that are brought into different documents.

I am starting to question whether we really want to go down the route of
includetext for document footers if it's going to cause aggravation as they
aren't as likely to change as the letter format for example. I agree - they
probably won't change that often and if they do then we could run a find and
replace macro through the docs.
--
Helbel78

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

So the IncludeText field is in the footer itself? Did you try specifically
updating that field?

Do your document footers really change frequently?

On 9/16/05 10:21 AM, "helbel78" wrote:

We have brought our document footers in using a standard piece of
includetext. I used the normal page number code but I found that on a 3 page
document, it repeated '3' as the page number on all 3 pages.

This bookmark in the includetext document was on the first page, so not sure
why it put page 3 on the merged document unless it was doing a count of the
pages rather than taking the page number - not sure how this could have
happened though when I used the normal { PAGE } code.

Any ideas if there's a problem with bring page numbers in through includetext?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Well, your other post was talking about standardizing letters, and
includetext is definitely wrong for that because you *don't* want letters to
change after you sent them out.

You could also redesign the footer so that the Page field is not part of the
included text. Burying Page in the middle of text seems a bit
counterintuitive anyhow.
e.g. a footer like so:

{includetext} {page}

On 9/17/05 12:44 AM, "helbel78" wrote:

The includetext statement is in the footer of the documents. Then the
standard footer is bookmarked in a separate document that contains all are
includetext statements that are brought into different documents.

I am starting to question whether we really want to go down the route of
includetext for document footers if it's going to cause aggravation as they
aren't as likely to change as the letter format for example. I agree - they
probably won't change that often and if they do then we could run a find and
replace macro through the docs.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Charles Kenyon

Look into:

Templates - http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

AutoText

--

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/