Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustinM

Default Formatting & Editing in Unprotected Sections

I have read practically all the posts & solutions about 'Protecting Sections'
and 'Formatting' in Word but I can't seem to find the correct solution.
Hopefully you can help.

I have protected sections in a template (i.e. just the header and footer for
instance to limit usage of Corporate logos). The unprotected sections have
some formatting functions disabled (i.e. bullets, merging tables, paintbrush,
font selection and sizing, columns, tabs, paragraph spacing, etc.). Is there
any way that you can have a protected section (i.e. just the header), but
have the rest of the document/template open for any and all formatting (i.e.
like the functions listed above)? I find as soon as I invoke protection
(i.e. both with and without a password), certain formatting options become
disabled which is frustrating.

Most of the solutions provided advise on how to protect sections of the
document but there is nothing that will provide for all the formatting
functions that one is accustomed to in an unprotected document.
--
JustinM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,

I have protected sections in a template (i.e. just the header and footer for
instance to limit usage of Corporate logos). The unprotected sections have
some formatting functions disabled (i.e. bullets, merging tables, paintbrush,
font selection and sizing, columns, tabs, paragraph spacing, etc.). Is there
any way that you can have a protected section (i.e. just the header), but
have the rest of the document/template open for any and all formatting (i.e.
like the functions listed above)? I find as soon as I invoke protection
(i.e. both with and without a password), certain formatting options become
disabled which is frustrating.

If you're not using Word 2003 then, essentially, no, there's no other option
available. Although you could use macros to implement much of the missing
functionality. Note, too, that some of the things that aren't available over
menus CAN be accessed using toolbar buttons (using bullets and numbering
defaults, for example).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustinM

Thanks Cindy. I am using Word 2003 and I note that, yes, I can access some
features directly on toolbar (i.e. numbering, bullets) if I cannot access
them on the dropdown menu. However that seems to be it for the most common
formating functions. Even so, I cannot change the type bullets or select
different levels for the numbering.

Is putting/setting up macros to restore certain formatting functions the
only way to go when a template is protected in Word 2003? If that is the
case, then I guess that would be extremely involved in trying to figure out
all those macros?

Looking forward to the reply post.
--
JustinM

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,

I am using Word 2003 and I note that, yes, I can access some
features directly on toolbar (i.e. numbering, bullets) if I cannot access
them on the dropdown menu. However that seems to be it for the most common
formating functions. Even so, I cannot change the type bullets or select
different levels for the numbering.

Is putting/setting up macros to restore certain formatting functions the
only way to go when a template is protected in Word 2003? If that is the
case, then I guess that would be extremely involved in trying to figure out
all those macros?

Depends on exactly what you have in mind for the form. If it works for you to
have a set of predefined formats, then you should be able to create STYLES
that include the numbering or bullets you want to use as part of the
definition. Assign these to toolbar buttons (Tools/Customize/Commands,
category Styles) and the user should be able to apply them (in unprotected
sections), no macros required.

Are you familiar with styles? Have you ever created any?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustinM

I have created a couple of styles but admit that I am not 100% proficient at
their use.

If I create a style in a template, will that style automatically go with the
template when somebody else opens it up into a new document? (i.e. will they
be able to use that style?). OR doe one have to create these styles in the
normal.dot template and roll it out to all company PC's for the style to be
available for general use in whatever document/template they are using?

I also note that one cannot convert inserted graphics files or insert
shapes, callouts, etc. in a protected sections template.

Thanks Cindy for your prompt reply!
--
JustinM

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,

I have created a couple of styles but admit that I am not 100% proficient at
their use.

If I create a style in a template, will that style automatically go with the
template when somebody else opens it up into a new document? (i.e. will they
be able to use that style?). OR doe one have to create these styles in the
normal.dot template and roll it out to all company PC's for the style to be
available for general use in whatever document/template they are using?

If you create a style in a template, and a document is created from the
template, the document will contain the style. Unlike, say, a macro or a toolbar
the style will actually be IN the document, no link back to the template
required.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest reading the material on numbering and
styles on Shauna Kelly's and Margaret Aldis's websites. It will probably be more
than you're looking for :-), but might save you some headaches down the line.
Especially if you need to include outline numbering, rather than just simple
numbering and bullets.

I also note that one cannot convert inserted graphics files or insert
shapes, callouts, etc. in a protected sections template.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustinM

Thanks Cindy for your PROMPT reply! You are FAST! Cheers, JustinM;-)

--
JustinM

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

You are FAST!

Just coincidence :-) Depends on my workload, the
timezone...

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mules

Cindy, I hope your workload has not yet increased so much that you can not
answer 1 more question. If you have some time I want to thank you for
reading my question: I would like to be able to Open both an Excel
spreadsheet and a saved Word document from a Protected word form. Once I
protect the form I loose the ability to double click on both documents?? I
need to protect the form for data entry. I have looked into sections and
protection and have not found the right connection??

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

You are FAST!

Just coincidence :-) Depends on my workload, the
timezone...

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TXVsZXM=?=,

I hope your workload has not yet increased so much that you can not
answer 1 more question. If you have some time I want to thank you for
reading my question: I would like to be able to Open both an Excel
spreadsheet and a saved Word document from a Protected word form. Once I
protect the form I loose the ability to double click on both documents?? I
need to protect the form for data entry. I have looked into sections and
protection and have not found the right connection??

You're trying to click on Hyperlinks? This requires a macro, that can be
called from a MACROBUTTON field. There's a very simple version on my website,
and a more complete version on word.mvps.org

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rdcooper

In word 2000 you can add a section break (continuous) between paragraphs
and then protect just that paragraph if you want to.

After you have added the section breaks as required go to tools/protect
document/forms/then click sections in the right box. You will be asked
a password to protect.

Hope this helps

--
rdcooper
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack_shipley jack_shipley is offline

I have a similar problem. I want to be able to make words and phrases italic
in my protected doc w/o it affecting the entire paragraph. Any help?

Hi ?B?SnVzdGluTQ==?=,