Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
1touch 1touch is offline

Default Delete key problems

When I highlight some text to delete in Word and press the back space key,
the text no longer deletes. I have to hit the delete key. This has happened
all of a sudden it was working fine with the backspace key before. I'm
wondering if I've hit a button on the keyboard to make this suddenly stop
working? Any help to turn this function back on?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You don't mention what version of Word you are using. The following is for
2003 and prior, instructions for 2007 may differ.
Tools, Options, Edit tab, check the box for "Typing replaces selection".
Hope this helps
DeanH

"1touch" wrote:

When I highlight some text to delete in Word and press the back space key,
the text no longer deletes. I have to hit the delete key. This has happened
all of a sudden it was working fine with the backspace key before. I'm
wondering if I've hit a button on the keyboard to make this suddenly stop
working? Any help to turn this function back on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Office button | Word Options, Advanced category, check the "Typing
replaces selected text" option.

If you are using Word 2003, there is a similar command; assuming that I
remember correctly, you'll find it in Tools | Options, Edit tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"1touch" wrote in message
When I highlight some text to delete in Word and press the back space key,
the text no longer deletes. I have to hit the delete key. This has
happened
all of a sudden it was working fine with the backspace key before. I'm
wondering if I've hit a button on the keyboard to make this suddenly stop
working? Any help to turn this function back on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Another thing that will create exactly the same symptom is if your Track
Changes is turned on, and the option for deleted text is set to None. The
lady at the desk next to mine was driving herself crazy last week trying to
figure this one out.

Fred