ERS Craig

Default Disappearing photos on a word document

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down and then
back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is had to work with
the document whan the photo is there , using space but you cant see it.
Cynthia

You have to be in page layout view rather than NORMAL view to see pictures in a document - at least, that's been my experience with it.

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down and then
back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is had to work with
the document whan the photo is there , using space but you cant see it.
Graham Mayor

This appears to be attributable to the graphics driver with recent ATI
display adapters and the Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
causing particular problems.

In the case of the latter, the latest driver
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ProductID=1764
appears to fix the problem. DON'T TRY TO USE THIS DRIVER WITH ANY OTHER
CHIPSET/ADAPTER.

There are drivers available also from ATI that correct this issue with some
their adapter cards.

If you have the problem with a different display adapter and are sure you
are using the latest driver, then try reducing the display's hardware
acceleration.

Jay Freedman wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 08:06:02 -0700, ERS Craig ERS
wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down
and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is
had to work with the document whan the photo is there , using space
but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click the
Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In the next
dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware Acceleration
slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try Word again. Keep
trying different settings until either you get Word to display
graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Jettaman99

Thanks for the advice that you posted it also solved my problem. My photos
started disappearing after loading Adobe Pro 6.0 (but not before). I have an
Intel Graphics chipset that came with the PC and a Viewsonic VE710s flat
screen.

Will decreasing the hardware acceleration affect any other items on my PC
and/or software/hardware.

Thanks again for solving the "mystery" problem with the disappearing photos
and logo jpeg files.

--
Every once and a while you just gotta admit you have no idea what is going on

Michael

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This appears to be attributable to the graphics driver with recent ATI
display adapters and the IntelĀ® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family

wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down
and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is
had to work with the document whan the photo is there , using space
but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click the
Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In the next
dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware Acceleration
slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try Word again. Keep
trying different settings until either you get Word to display
graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

The "Red X" means "Word cannot find the picture file."

Why would that be?

Could it be that your URL is linking to an IP address and your ISP
dynamically changes your IP address each time you go online?

Or is the online album changing the URL for the picture? Or is your
antivirus program or firewall blocking the picture content?

Basically, you need to embed those pictures in the Word document, and have
the user download the whole document complete with its pictures.

On 1/4/06 1:53 PM, in article
, "GretchenVirgoGirl"
wrote:

I'm having kind of the same problem but different? I have my photos stored
online in an album thru my ISP and they are set for public view. Yet when I
post one in an online forum (kind of like this one) the picture shows for a
whle but then later all anyone can see is an x which marks where the photo is
supposed to be? Any connection? Any ideas?

wrote:

[...]

Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GretchenVirgoGirl

The Word document and the link really is not an option because of the forum
that this is for. I used to be able to simply copy and paste the photos from
my photo album, which is not online but on my hard drive. Suddenly I was no
longer able to do that so I devised this alternative method which now does
not seem to work either. I got one message that said my ms office file for
office clips was damaged and to insert the original disk for repair, trouble
is I can find every disk but this one, is there some way to repair this
online without my disk and do you think that could be the problem? Thanks.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GretchenVirgoGirl

I used to address this problem simply by cut and paste of the picture and
that worked great. However, that does not work anymore

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GretchenVirgoGirl

You kinda lost me, I understand the theory about what you are saying the
problem is, however I'm lost as to how to fix it. Why would it be that I
used to be able to copy photos from my pictures directory to the web and that
worked fine but now it doesn't. That's the best easiest way if I could
figure what happened to this process? Any ideas? Thanks.

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

No. The Office Clip Manager or whatever they call it is not part of this
problem. And I don't know of a way to repair this without the original
disk. I had that error for a year or so, I just ignored it because I don't
use the Office Clip Manager, I can look after my own pictures :-)

Now, it's important for us to begin to distinguish between the various file
formats that Word produces. Historically whenever we have seen a question
about Microsoft Word, we have assumed that the file format is
"Word.Document.8", a binary container. You are working in "Web Page"
format, which is a far simpler format that can't do a lot of what a Word
document can do.

Word works around this by using a "combined" HTML and XML format. The
results you get with that are pretty good in Internet Explorer 6, but all
bets are off in any other browser.

When working with a Word document, you don't have to think about what kinds
of pictures you use or where they are. If you are working in the other
formats, you have to know what your pictures are and exactly where they are,
and it's your responsibility to make sure that the instructions for finding
your pictures that you place in the file are correct :-)

If you are working in HTML, you must first place the graphics onto the web
server, and THEN link to them. Otherwise Word writes a "link" to your local
hard drive, and that's probably your problem. You won't see the problem on
your computer, because a link to "My Computer/My Drive/My Documents/My
Pictures/ will work for YOU. For everyone else, your hard drive is (I
hope!) inaccessible. So while they may have that folder on their computer,
your pictures won't be in it :-)

I think that's the problem. Open one of your files from the web and do a
ViewSource. Look for the img tag that links to each picture, and tell
me what you see there. It should be something such as:
img border="0" src="../../Images/IconsAndLogos/MVPLogoWhiteBkrnd.gif"
width="124" height="110"

You see that "../../Images/... bit? That says that the
MVPLogoWhiteBkrnd.gif picture is "two levels above this document" in a
folder named "images".

What you have to do is figure out where your images will be when they get
uploaded to the web server, and make your links link to them there.

The best way to do this is to use a proper web editor to publish them into
that position.

If you insist on using Word, you have to either put the images into their
correct folder, then put the document into its correct folder, then open the
document from the server and THEN put the links in from there; or you have
to move the document and the images to the server, then ViewSource on the
document and correct the links by hand.

One shorthand method of doing this is to make sure that both the pictures
and the document are in the "same" folder. If they are, then the path won't
matter: Word will find the pictures anyway.

To summarise: Whatever drive and path appears in the IMG tag must be
correct for any user on any computer in the world.

Hope this helps

On 1/4/06 6:23 PM, in article
, "GretchenVirgoGirl"

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Unless you show me where I can find a file that has the fault, I can't tell
you any more. I can only guess: you are going to have to open the source
for one of those files and look to see what is wrong. Tell us that, and we
have a chance of working out what to do about it.

On 1/4/06 8:32 PM, in article
, "GretchenVirgoGirl"

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry

You seem to be quite knowledgable so perhaps you can help me with my blank
graphics question. When I insert a jpg, a piece of clipart, or basically any
graphical element into word, a blank box the size of the graphic appears. No
matter what I try (printing, going to print preview, giving it time to load)
NOTHING works to show the contents of that graphic. I've tried uninstalling
and reinstalling MS Office, and the problem persists. Any ideas?

wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down
and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is
had to work with the document whan the photo is there , using space
but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click the
Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In the next
dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware Acceleration
slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try Word again. Keep
trying different settings until either you get Word to display
graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Tools options view - uncheck picture place holders.
Tools options print - check 'drawing objects'

wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page
down and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok
but is had to work with the document whan the photo is there ,
using space but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click the
Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In the
next dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware
Acceleration slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try
Word again. Keep trying different settings until either you get
Word to display graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There is almost certainly an updated driver available from NVIDIA's support
web site that should fix this.

Dean wrote:
Slowing down the accelerator worked for me. I had to reduce it 3
notches. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Video Card. Thanks for the
help! This has plagued me for a long time!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wolfe

I am also having this problem, which I've seen in several different threads
on here now. Mine is a little different. I have a document w/pictures that
show up correctly. When I format a picture to change the layout to "in line
with text" the picture disappears and is replaced w/ the box. When I try
changing the layout back to "behind text," the box moves appropriatly, but
the picture is gone. I also have another document where I can't get any
pictures to show up.

I made sure all the appropriate options were checked, I updated my graphics
driver, and I decreased the hardware acceleration. None of this made a
difference.

I am running a Tablet PC w/ Windows XP for Tablet and have an Intel
82852/82855 GM/GML graphics card.

Any thoughts?

"ERS Craig" wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down and then
back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is had to work with
the document whan the photo is there , using space but you cant see it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Terry

Thanks for this, but I found the answer...and it's pretty simple. In Tools l
Options l View you need to ensure that Picture Placeholders is NOT selected.

wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down
and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is
had to work with the document whan the photo is there , using space
but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click the
Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In the next
dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware Acceleration
slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try Word again. Keep
trying different settings until either you get Word to display
graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carrie Carrie is offline

Hi , I have a problem with pulling up my pictures from my email? photo shop
use to bring them up but now micro soft word appears and all I get is weird
text lettering? Please help my childern did something???

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This appears to be attributable to the graphics driver with recent
ATI display adapters and the IntelĀ® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset

wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page
down and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok
but is had to work with the document whan the photo is there ,
using space but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click the
Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In the
next dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware
Acceleration slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try
Word again. Keep trying different settings until either you get
Word to display graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It sounds as though the graphics file type has been associated with Word.
Right click the image and select open with ... Select your usual
viewer/editor and check the box for 'always open with this application'

Carrie wrote:
Hi , I have a problem with pulling up my pictures from my email?
photo shop use to bring them up but now micro soft word appears and
all I get is weird text lettering? Please help my children did
something???

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Tools options view - uncheck picture place holders.
Tools options print - check 'drawing objects'

You seem to be quite knowledgeable so perhaps you can help me with my

wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page
down and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out
ok but is had to work with the document whan the photo is there ,
using space but you cant see it.

Graphics that disappear during scrolling are a symptom of an
overworked (or underpowered) video card.

If you can't install a more powerful card, you may get some
improvement from the following: Right-click a blank area of the
Windows desktop and select Properties from the popup menu. Click
the Settings tab of the dialog, and click the Advanced button. In
the next dialog, click the Troubleshoot tab. Move the Hardware
Acceleration slider a notch or two toward the None end, and try
Word again. Keep trying different settings until either you get
Word to display graphics properly or you hit the None setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cay Cay is offline

I lose links when Word closes (unexpectedly) and the recovered document does
not retain the links. I spend lots of time reinserting, closing, losing, and
reinserting. How can I retain the links to my photos or (even better) how can
I keep Word 07 from closing suddenly?
--
Cay

"ERS Craig" wrote:

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down and then
back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is had to work with
the document whan the photo is there , using space but you cant see it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2007 is quite stable, so you need to identify what is causing it to
fall over regularly. Start with
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.
The disappearing photos are probably related to the display driver. See if
there's an update available and/or reduce its hardware acceleration.

Cay wrote:
I lose links when Word closes (unexpectedly) and the recovered
document does not retain the links. I spend lots of time reinserting,
closing, losing, and reinserting. How can I retain the links to my
photos or (even better) how can I keep Word 07 from closing suddenly?

I open a document with photos insertent on them and when I page down
and then back up the photo disappears. I still prints out ok but is
had to work with the document whan the photo is there , using space
but you cant see it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cay Cay is offline

I will check to see that all of these issues have been addressed. I agree, 07
is very stable on my two computers at home, but I have a lot of trouble when
working on our network. I am the only one running 07 but the reason for the
new computer and new Office 07 version was the frequent problems I had with
Word. I have even connected to a different data jack without much
improvement. I work with the same documents at home with no problems. Our
tech guy has tested the network hubs and my latest diagnostic test was the
new cable, all to no avail.

Is it possible that my version of Word 07 has become corrupted becaue of all
these problems?
--
Cay