Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Larryq22 Larryq22 is offline

Default Fill-in forms in Word 2007: How?

I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word 2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type in the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able to
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only way?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and
especially the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.
Then note that, in order to get to the legacy form controls in Word 2007,
you must follow this procedu

1. Office Button | Word Options | Popular: check the box for "Show Developer
tab in the Ribbon.

2. On the Developer tab, in the Controls group, click on the lower right
button in the group on the left, which is Legacy Tools.

3. The Legacy Forms tools are the ones you want. If you will be using them
frequently, right-click on the "Legacy Forms" title bar and choose "Add
Group to Quick Access Toolbar."

Word 2007 also includes new "content controls" that can be used to create
more powerful forms, but these are available only to users of Word 2007, so
if your forms will be distributed to users of previous versions, you need to
stick with the legacy controls.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able to
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ritzput ritzput is offline

I have put legacy tools on my quick access toolbar. When i open it i have 2
field shading"- i'm hoping that's the little gray box that appears and you
can type in it.....nothing happens. THe only thngs that i can paste into my
word document are under the active x controls? for ex:
Name: xxxxx i want to put the form field shield beside "name" and nothing
happens. i don't like the text box under active x because if you have quite
a bit to type you can't view everything.

Also, i clicked on the link you provided by Diane Chapman and this is not
for word 200 which is what i'm using (by the way)

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able to
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ritzput ritzput is offline

I have clicked on links for Diane Chapman but that template is NOT for 2007.

I already have shortcut Legacy tools on toolbar. What i did was simply typ
what i wanted, highlighted and clicked on shortcut legacy toolbar which as i
mentioned before doesn't allow me to acces legacy forms where form field
shading or insert frame is.

So guess i need you to explain in detail.
If i have Name: ____________ and want the grey text box to sit on top of
line so the person will be able to fill in their name on the line WITHOUT the
line moving as you type, how do i do this? I also want the entire name
visible...first and last all on same line.

I tried doing this and just highlighted the line area, clicked on shortcut
and under Legacy Tools if i click on text form field, it puts a grey box
randomly on page but then when you try to test it by typing something in, it
disappears.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ritzput ritzput is offline

If you could give me your email address, i can email you document that has
what i'm wanting to create.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ritzput ritzput is offline

Problem is i can get text box shaded field to paste but once i type in it, it
disappears and just the name is there with no line and gray text box is gone.

I have document where there is a gray area above a line. When you put your
cursor over gray area, an outlined text box appears. after you type your
info in and go to next field, the previous form field has your info typed
above line and gray area still shows.

This is hard to explain so if i could send example via email to some VIP,
this would be helpful. Document won't let me copy/paste.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ritzput ritzput is offline

is it possible to click on the document i'm wanting to copy form fields from
to view what they did?

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ritzput ritzput is offline

ok...i figured out how to paste the text box and then shade it. It allows me
to type info in but after i hit enter, just the info i typed with shading
behing shows. I can't get it to have underline stay with shaded field above
the line and stay after typing info. Also, i like the idea as in this
document, that when you put cursor over grayed out area which sits above
line, that an entire text outline appears for you to type, then when you hit
enter to go to next field, your info appears in grayed area ABOVE line.

does this make sense?

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Dian's articles apply to all versions of Word even though the tools are in a
different place in Word 2007. In order to have your form field underlined,
you'll have to format it as underlined or put it in a table cell with a
bottom border. Note that you can't use the form as a form until you have
protected it for forms. The Word 2007 Legacy Tools palette doesn't include
the padlock button to protect the form, but you can add this button to your
QAT (in Customize | All Commands, you want the one named just "Lock"). It's
not a form till it's locked. If you try to type in a form field before the
form is locked, you'll just overwrite the form field.

"ritzput" wrote in message
I have put legacy tools on my quick access toolbar. When i open it i
have
2
"form

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas
for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in
Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes,
type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be
able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Fox[_2_] Ed Fox[_2_] is offline

I cannot follow the instructions, beginning with the original comments about
legacy options. Is there something I am missing? The description of the
user's problem is exactly what I am trying to do. It shouldn't be this
complicated.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you using Word 2007? The general principles of forms are explained in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to. The only
additional information you need for Word 2007 is that, to access the form
fields, you must display the Developer tab (Office Button | Word Options |
Popular: "Show the Developer tab in the Ribbon"); you will then find the
Legacy Forms palette under Legacy Tools, the bottom right button on the left
side of the Controls group on the Developer tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"ritzput" wrote in message
I have put legacy tools on my quick access toolbar. When i open it
i have
2
the "form

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank
areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this in
Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the
checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not
be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the
only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you download fellow MVP Greg Maxey's add-in
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Classic%20Form%20Controls.htm it adds the familiar
classic form controls to the ribbon.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank
areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this
in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the
checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not
be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the
only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lester5 lester5 is offline

I'm having trouble with my completed form. In Word 2003 I was able to create
a form where I could tab from field to field to enter the necessary
information. In Word 2007 when I tab in the field, it doesn't move to the
next field. Rather, it enters a tab in the field. I've made sure the form
is protected, so that's not the problem. Please help. Thanks

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank
areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this
in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the
checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not
be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the
only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lester5 lester5 is offline

"lester5" wrote:

I'm having trouble with my completed form. In Word 2003 I was able to create
a form where I could tab from field to field to enter the necessary
information. In Word 2007 when I tab in the field, it doesn't move to the
next field. Rather, it enters a tab in the field. I've made sure the form
is protected, so that's not the problem.

I'm also wondering if I can lock certain fields, but allow users to format
(such as add bullets) to other fields.

Thanks!

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank
areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this
in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the
checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not
be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the
only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure that you are using formfields from the Legacy Forms collection
and not Content Controls, especially Rich Text Content Controls?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can create exactly the same type of form as you created in Word 2003 by
using the legacy fields, which is why I posted the link in the earlier
message to make this task even easier.

Youi cannot add formatting to protected fields. Any document that needs user
formatting is probably not ideally suited to use as a protected form.

"ritzput" wrote in message
I have put legacy tools on my quick access toolbar. When i
open it i have
2
input the "form

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lester5 lester5 is offline

Thanks, Doug. I tried both the legacy tools, as well as the Rich Text
Controls after reading several posts and help files. I was finally able to
get the form to tab from field to field by using Ctrl-Tab. Not ideal, but it
worked.

As far as the formatting goes, I may have to follow Graham's advice and find
another way to create this "form" that will give the standardization I desire
in some areas, and the flexibility the user needs in others.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Leslie

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Create a template with a userform to gather the user supplied data and apply
it to the document as required - For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ -
Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and...a_UserForm.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mariem mariem is offline

I am having the same trouble with my form. I saw in a Word 2007 book not to
use the Rich Text Content Control, just the Text Content Control. My problem
is with the check boxes. When the form is protected and completed and I open
it to fill it in the tab does not take me to the check boxes.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
I want to create a form with checkboxes and fill-in-the-blank
areas for
name,
address, etc., and then put it on the Web. How do I do this
in Word
2007?
The idea is that users could go to the page, mark the
checkboxes, type
in
the
blanks, and then print off the completed copy. Users would not
be able
change anything except the checkboxes and fill-in areas.

I've seen some descriptions of creating templates - is this the
only
way?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't combine content controls and legacy forms controls (content
controls can't be used in protected documents), and there are no check box
content controls, so you will have to use legacy text form fields.

http://word.mvps.org