Mike Bertrand

Default How do i move all my word documents to new computer

I purchased another cmputer and loaded Word and registered the copy. Now I
want to take all the Word files from the old computer and move them to the
new computer perferably all at once. Is that possible or How would I do that?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

That depends entirely on your operating system and setup, which you
didn't tell us anything about.

In most cases you can plug the two together to create a temporary
network to pass the files. Of if you're on a network, just link to
each other and pass the file. Or burn then to a CD if you have a
burner and pass them. Or grab a ton of floppies and start copying.

More details are needed to provide you with a decent answer.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:41:11 -0800, "Mike Bertrand" Mike
wrote:

I purchased another cmputer and loaded Word and registered the copy. Now I
want to take all the Word files from the old computer and move them to the
new computer perferably all at once. Is that possible or How would I do that?

CyberTaz

If you can't connect the computers for file transfer, you'll just have to
copy the docs to a common media (i.e., floppy disk, CD, Zip disk) & then copy
them to the new system.

LOL |:)

"Mike Bertrand" wrote:

I purchased another cmputer and loaded Word and registered the copy. Now I
want to take all the Word files from the old computer and move them to the
new computer perferably all at once. Is that possible or How would I do that?

Charles Kenyon

You move the files just like you move any files. Find them, copy them, paste
them in the new computer. Your word customizations and settings, though, are
a different matter. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm for a list
of the files and settings to save before you migrate. You may also want to
look at
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm to get ideas on putting your
customizations into a more mobile file.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mike Bertrand" Mike wrote in message
I purchased another cmputer and loaded Word and registered the copy. Now I
want to take all the Word files from the old computer and move them to the
new computer perferably all at once. Is that possible or How would I do
that?

Mike Bertrand

As you can probably tell, I'm not computer savy. My O/S is Windows XP. I have
read where you can hook the computers together through the network. Is this
done through a USB cable? If not how is this done. Is there any recommended
reading that you would suggest how to transfere files. I'm not sure of what
setup refers to!Thank-You

wrote:

I purchased another cmputer and loaded Word and registered the copy. Now I
want to take all the Word files from the old computer and move them to the
new computer perferably all at once. Is that possible or How would I do that?

Charles Kenyon

Networking for just this purpose is overkill. There used to be a program you
could get for linking computers. It made it very simple. I don't remember,
the name anymore, though.

Do not plug a regular USB cord into two computers, though, without specific
instructions to do so from someone who knows what they are doing.
--

wrote:

I purchased another cmputer and loaded Word and registered the copy. Now
want to take all the Word files from the old computer and move them to
the
new computer perferably all at once. Is that possible or How would I do
that?

As the others have suggested, some form of removable media is the usual way.
Since you have a USB port, you may find that a USB flash (thumb, jump) drive
may have sufficient capacity to store all your documents (though it might
require several passes).