Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krazykat krazykat is offline

Default Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan

Word 2003 Global template and "Running Virus Scan"

When I start word 2003 I see the message at the bottom of the screen
"running virus scan" and there is a delay in opening to a blank document. I
want to get rid of the "Running Virus Scan" and the delay.

WHAT I HAVE DONE:

My web and Microsoft searches indicate the "Running virus scan is associated
with commercial anti virus programs, e.g. Norton AV or Grisoft AV. I do not
have either on my machine (WIN2k PRO) and I have verified nether of the files
officeav.dll or avgoff2k.dll exist on my hard drive or in my Registry. I do
use the Norton Corporate AV security program but it does not have a "office
plug" capability. I also use Zone alarm pro which has an anti-spam
capability and an anti virus feature. The Zone Alarm AV feature is just a
monitor of the workings of any other AV programs. I turned off both features
in Zone Alarm with no affect to the Word 2003 "Running Virus Scan".

I CAN remove the "Running Virus Scan" by using the "/a" switch in the WORD
start command. With this switch included, WORD starts in a flash with NO
"Running Virus Scan". The /a switch disables running global templates and
macros at WORD start up.

I can achieve the same affect by removing the 5 global template files from
the Global Templates and addin window (Tools, Templates and ADD-IN, Global
templates and Add-in window). None of the 5 files in the Global templates
and Add-in window appear to be associated with any AV program, but they do
reside in Windows\startup and OFFICE11\START up sub folders.

Changed the macro security to "LOW".

Added the /m switch to the start command.

This reduced the delay in opening but the "running virus scan" is still
there with a delay.

I do not have NORTON AV installed

WHAT I WANT TO DO:

Find a way to start Word without the "running virus scan" message and delay.

What is the connection between the "/a" switch and/ or having an empty
Global Templates window and removal of the "Running Virus Scan" message at
WORD start??

I have run out of things to try and need need more horsepower and experience
to solve this problem.

What is the solution?

THANKS!!