karen

Default Large (1000+ pages) document - Break into many individual files

I am using Word 2003 and have very large document that I need to break into
many smaller files. The individual files will not be the same number of
pages. A graphic logo appears at the top of what needs to become the new
file.
Although I dont know how to make this happen, I am thinking that this will
require a two step process:
1. Apply a macro to search for the logo and insert a page break immediately
above.
2. Somehow name and save the new smaller files.

Can anyone offer insight on this matter?

Anne Troy

Hi, Karen. I would bet that you could alter this macro he
http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=140
First, you'd have to mark the text somehow, so here's a scenario, though I'm
no great coder and someone else could do better. If you could at least go to
each logo and directly in front of it paste a paragraph of formatted text,
let's say the style is a custom style called MyStyle (see
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm for
how to create a style), and let's say the text is BreakHere. You could then
alter that macro at the first link to break the documents out where MyStyle
is (instead of Heading 1).
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"karen" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003 and have very large document that I need to break into
many smaller files. The individual files will not be the same number of
pages. A graphic logo appears at the top of what needs to become the new
file.
Although I dont know how to make this happen, I am thinking that this will
require a two step process:
1. Apply a macro to search for the logo and insert a page break
immediately
above.
2. Somehow name and save the new smaller files.

Can anyone offer insight on this matter?

Tony Jollans

This really hinges on how easy it is (or may be) to identify the graphic in
code. Unfortunately, I can't think of any easy way to decide that remotely.

If there are no other graphics in the document it wouldn't be too bad (but
somehow I doubt that in 1000+ pages). Otherwise is there anything you can
say about the graphics which might make them identifiable - do they have a
caption, are they in-line or floating (and are other graphics inline or
floating). How many are there - Anne's suggestion of manually tagging them
somehow could well be as easy as anything.

--
Enjoy,
Tony