Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sudders[_4_] Sudders[_4_] is offline

Default Frames, Styles and figures

I've created a long document with lots of captioned figures. As the
figures were floating, so were all the cpations(in textboxes). So that
meant that cross-referencing, table of figures etc. didn't work
properly. So I converted the textboxes to frames. In order to keep the
figures with the captions I cut and pasted the figures into the frames.
Fine, all worked well.

Except that whenever I cross-referenced a figure I got an image of the
figure. Huh? This was because the figure, now in-line, was in the Style
'caption'. So I changed the style of the figure to normal ... and ...
the figure jumpped out of the frames and into the main body of text.
Arrrgggghhhh .....

Its enough to make you want to use LaTeX.

Can anybody help?

Cheers,

Ian
---

--
Sudders
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You have to insert the figure (and I would advocate using a style
specifically defined for it) and then the caption (in the Caption style) and
then insert the frame around both. If you want the frame to be part of the
style, you could try making both the Caption and the Figure style framed,
being careful to set all the frame properties identically, but I'm not sure
this would work (I think you'd end up with two frames).

"Sudders" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sudders[_5_] Sudders[_5_] is offline

Okay, so i've got the figures into frames with the captions and in
normal style...

* I still get copies of the figure in every place that I've cross
referenced them.

* If I go through and delete the cross references and re-insert, I all
works fine .. not copy of the image.

* If I Ctrl-A F9 to update all the fields, two things happen;
1) I get all my copies of the figures back with the cross
references
2) All the figures jump out of their frames again.

I want to cry...

Sudders;2311639 Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sudders[_6_] Sudders[_6_] is offline

Thanks Susan,

I'd sorta already worked out it was going to involve re-inserting my
figures and redoing the captions and then framing the lots ...

This is going to take a long time - I have 17 figures, and each one is
referenced about 10 times ... When I delete the caption and insert a
new one, all the references to it change to Error! ...

Fun, fun, fun.

Sudders;2311782 Wrote:
Okay, so i've got the figures into frames with the captions and in
normal style...

* I still get copies of the figure in every place that I've cross
referenced them.

* If I go through and delete the cross references and re-insert, I all
works fine .. not copy of the image.

* If I Ctrl-A F9 to update all the fields, two things happen;
1) I get all my copies of the figures back with the cross
references
2) All the figures jump out of their frames again.

I want to cry...

--
Sudders
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you want the frame to be part of the
style, you could try making both the Caption and the Figure style framed,
being careful to set all the frame properties identically, but I'm not
sure this would work (I think you'd end up with two frames).

I believe this works if one style is based on the other, so that the frame
formatting is "shared."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You have to insert the figure (and I would advocate using a style
specifically defined for it) and then the caption (in the Caption style)
and
then insert the frame around both. If you want the frame to be part of the
style, you could try making both the Caption and the Figure style framed,
being careful to set all the frame properties identically, but I'm not
sure
this would work (I think you'd end up with two frames).

so
all may benefit.

"Sudders" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Thanks for the extra tip, Stefan.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Sudders" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure that each inline object and its caption is in a separate
paragraph. Otherwise, the object might very well be included in a
cross-reference.

Another thing to consider: When you add cross-references, Word encloses the
referenced item with a hidden bookmark. If you press Enter at the beginning
of a bookmarked item to insert a new paragraph, you are in fact adding the
paragraph inside the hidden bookmark, which would cause trouble with
cross-references. Instead, carefully add paragraphs by pressing Enter at the
end of the previous paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP