Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Default Word-Excel mail merge

why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to only show
a date
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you formatted it using a date/time switch in Word, what switch did you
use?

If you formatted it in Excel, do not expect Word to use the formatting you
used - try a date switch in Word, e.g. change

{ MERGEFIELD mydate }
{ MERGEFIELD mydate \@"MM DDD YY" }

substituting whatever format you need.

There's an "explanation" of sorts at http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Where do I do the date switch...Not exactly computer saavy and this is
driving me crazy. After the date is displayed in my docs, I see 12:00:00 AM
and I'd like to remove that from the docs

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

With your Word document open, press Alt-F9 to see the field codes. They look
like { MERGEFIELD mydate } rather than mydate

Then type the "format switch" text after the field name and before the "}",
as previously suggested.

If you already have a switch that looks like "\*Mergeformat", in most cases
it won't do any harm to delete it.

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Thank You Peter,it worked great....I have one final question if you can help
me. A monetary amount is showing up as 92800. when I would like it to show
up as $92,800.00. Any suggestions?

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Change

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"$,0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

With your Word document open, press Alt-F9 to see the field codes. They
look
like { MERGEFIELD mydate } rather than mydate

Then type the "format switch" text after the field name and before the
"}",

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Thanks again Peter for the quick response

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Change

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"$,0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Well, here we go. I have an address field that is in all upper case. If I
change it to proper case, the second letter of the state in the address will
be lower case

for ex. WEST JORDAN UT 84084

yields West Jordan Ut 84084

Any suggestions?

"mark" wrote:

Thanks again Peter for the quick response

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Change

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"$,0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Mark,

To fix this one in a sensible way, you would really have to separate out the
two-letter state code from the other data in your data source. What's
possible depends on where you're starting from (and just to spell it out,
I'm starting from over the large pond to the east of te U.S.A., so for
example I don't know if "WEST JORDAN" is a county in Utah or what, if you
are dealing with all the U.S. States or just UT, and so on...:-))

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote:

Thanks again Peter for the quick response

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Change

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"$,0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it
formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Mark is offline

Hi Peter,

Everything went pretty well except for an error in the merge in the middle
of the data source. I have a set of records that total 6010, and when I
merged the data, records 955-2242 yielded no date. Record 954 and record
2243 were fine and printed out correctly. Is it possible that those cells
are not properly formatted or could the cells themselves be corrupted in some
way?

Stuck up creek w/ no paddle

Mark

"mark" wrote:

Thanks again Peter for the quick response

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Change

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"$,0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote in message
why do I get a time along with the date when I have it
formatted to
only
show
a date

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, previous questions have been about date&time, and amounts.

Everything went pretty well except for an error in the merge in the middle
of the data source. I have a set of records that total 6010,

Do you mean 6010 records, or something else?

and when I
merged the data, records 955-2242 yielded no date.

let's look at records 954 (say) and 955.
- What is the name of the column you are using as a date?
- what do you see in Excel when you look at the data in that column in
record 954 and 955?
- if you select the relevant cell in record 954 and 955, anduse Excel
Format|Cells, do you see any difference in the formatting?

Record 954 and record
2243 were fine and printed out correctly. Is it possible that those cells
are not properly formatted or could the cells themselves be corrupted in
some
way?

Try the above for starters. Yes, what you say is possible, but deciding that
something is corrupt rarely helps except in the sense that "corrupt" means
"so bad that it's probably a good idea to start from scratch, whatever that
might mean"

Peter Jamieson

"mark" wrote:

Thanks again Peter for the quick response

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Change

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"$,0.00" }