Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
madhg madhg is offline

Default insert plain text into pre-existing table

I have a Word document with a table set up (to print mailing labels,
in 2 columns). And a plain text document with addresses. I'd like to
insert the addresses into the Word table, _without_ using Mail
Merge.

I've searched this group and haven't found this particular question
(though many somewhat similar ones).

Can I manipulate the text file in such a way that I can paste the text
into the Word doc.with each address on a different label?

Thanks in advance for any help,
David

The plain text doc has this format; different addresses have different
numbers of lines.

A person
33 streetname
town
county
postcode

A N Other
56 streetname
Town
county
postcode
country
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
madhg madhg is offline

On 1 Mar, 13:52, Peter A wrote:
In article 2b20f7b4-2839-4dd4-80fc-d78602aa81c8
@q78g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, says...

I have a Word document with a table set up (to print mailing labels,
in 2 columns). And a plain text document with addresses. I'd like to
insert the addresses into the Word table, _without_ using Mail
Merge.

Can I manipulate the text file in such a way that I can paste the text
into the Word doc.with each address on a different label?

Word has a command to convert text to a table. Table, Convert, Text to
Table in Word 2003. If you look in the help system you will find the
details on how your text should be set up for this command to work

Thanks for your reply. I have Word 2000, and know about Convert Text
to Table. It creates a table from existing text. That table would
not be of the right size and shape to print out on to address labels.

What I would like to do is paste text into a _pre-existing_ table in
such a way that it flows into cells of the table in a controllable
way. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

By the way, in Word 2000, as far as I know, if the text is arranged in
a single column, Convert Text to Table produces a table with one
column. That's no good to me.

Thanks again for your reply,
David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Assuming that the "blank lines" in your example represent empty paragraphs
(and that each line in the address block is also a paragraph), use Replace
to replace ^p (paragraph break) with ^l (line break). Then replace ^l^l (two
line breaks) with ^p. This will put each address block in a single
paragraph. Then use Table | Convert | Text to Table to convert your text
into a table, separating at paragraph marks. The number of columns Word will
suggest will not be correct; change the number to the number of labels
across.

Before starting this, you will have set the margins of your document to
match the margins on the label sheet. Now select the table rows you've
created and set the row height to exactly the height (in inches) of the
labels. Once you've done that, your table will match the label table, and
you can just copy/paste to append the new rows to the existing ones.

"madhg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article bc8dded1-00fa-4edb-8e4d-c508d0ce0e32
@y77g2000hsy.googlegroups.com, says...
On 1 Mar, 13:52, Peter A wrote:
[...]

I understood what you wanted - but I thought if you could first convert
the text to a table then you could modify the table to suit your labels.
I know of no way to paste a bunch of text into a table so that different
sections of the text go into different cells - I suppose you could write
a macro, but that's a question for a VBA group.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
madhg madhg is offline

On 1 Mar, 13:52, Peter A wrote:
[...]

Aha, many thanks, Suzanne, I now see how to do it. And apologies to
Peter, your suggestion was along the right lines, and I didn't know as
much about Text to Table as I thought I did - in particular, that you
can increase the number of columns and the content will be arranged
sensibly in the 2-column table.

David
chipp2shore chipp2shore is offline
Junior Member

Location: St Pete, Florida

[quote=Peter A;322991]In article bc8dded1-00fa-4edb-8e4d-c508d0ce0e32
@y77g2000hsy.googlegroups.com, says...[color=blue][i]
On 1 Mar, 13:52, Peter A wrote:[color=green][i]
In article 2b20f7b4-2839-4dd4-80fc-d78602aa81c8
@q78g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, says...

I have a Word document with a table set up (to print mailing labels,
in 2 columns). And a plain text document with addresses. I'd like to
insert the addresses into the Word table, _without_ using Mail
Merge.

Can I manipulate the text file in such a way that I can paste the text
into the Word doc.with each address on a different label?

If I understand your problem correctly, you need to convert the new addresses into a table which can then be added to the existing table?

There are several options to meld them... the first (text to table) has already been suggested by Suzanne.

To place an address list into a table you can use text to table by first repacing all the para. marks with line breaks. Then replacing 2 line breaks with a para mark, so that you have a para mark as a delimiter between records. Select the text and click 'convert text to table'

If however you have many more raw addresses than the ones in a table, there is another option:
Convert the addresses in your table to text, then add them to the addresses not in your table. This will give you a long vertical row of addresses.

If you follow the directions on this MS support website you will see how to make labels from a vertical list of addresses:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212335
making sure you name and save the file after step 5.

Hopefully you will find a label to match the one's you are using.

Another option: To make a table from your asterisk delimited file in WORD 2007 & 2010 (this will also work smoothly with the Avery label software for Word):

1) Open Word
2) Start with a blank page.
3) Make sure the ‘Insert Database’ button is on your Quick Access Toolbar - Q.A.T. (If not click on down arrow on the Q.A.T. / Go to Customize / More commands / Change from ‘Popular Commands’ to ‘All Commands’ / then select ‘insert database’ and add to Q.A.T.)
4) Once on the QAT, Click on this ‘Insert database’ button
5) Select your labels document and open
6) Field ‘NONE , Record ‘*’
7) Insert data / OK, ALL
8) Click on ‘Table Tools’ button and select white table model on left
9) Your addresses are now in a table ready for the Avery Label software

In WORD 97 and 2000 to put your labels into a table, first open the Database Toolbar (which needs to be selected from View / Toolbars). Then open a blank document, click on the icon, ‘Insert Database’ from the Database toolbar/ Click Get Data / find your document set up delimited by tabs and click OPEN / select the delimiters: Field None / Records *
Insert data /then click OK
Your labels are now in a table. Re-name and save.

So here you have three options.

1) Use 'Convert Text to Table' with the raw addresses and meld the new table to the existing one.

2) Set up a delimited document from which you can select the labels of your choice.

3) Create a new table from the document which has been saved in an asterisk delimited format.

I hope this helps. I've tried to cover all the bases in case others have a similar problem! Chris

Last edited by chipp2shore : February 17th 12 at 06:48 AM
handeiere handeiere is offline
Junior Member

[quote=chipp2shore;491851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
[...]

="" a=""There are several options to meld them... the first (text to table) has already been suggested by Suzanne.

Last edited by handeiere : April 11th 12 at 10:52 AM