Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian17 Brian17 is offline

Default cross reference and gray shading

Hi, in Word 2007 when I create a cross reference, the item appears with a
gray shading around it. How do I remove this shading? I assumed it was using
a particular style and that I could edit it, but when I click on the
reference the style is displayed as "normal" (my "normal" does not have gray
shading applied.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Brian in NY
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Going from memory here & don't have '07 running at the moment, but I think I
can point you in the right direction...

Click the Pizza (Office) Button, then click the Word Options button & select
Advanced. I believe it's a group labled as View or something similar in
which there is a dropdown labled for Field Shading which is probably set to
Always. Set that to Never or When Selected.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Brian17" wrote in message
Hi, in Word 2007 when I create a cross reference, the item appears with a
gray shading around it. How do I remove this shading? I assumed it was
using
a particular style and that I could edit it, but when I click on the
reference the style is displayed as "normal" (my "normal" does not have
gray
shading applied.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Brian in NY

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian17 Brian17 is offline

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I tried that already. I too thought it was the
field shading set to "always" in the options. I set it to never it and the
shading was still there.

I think I figured it out, although having to fix these cross references
one-by-one will be pain staking.

When I use captions in to label my images I use a gray shading around the
"Figure #" text part of the caption. So when I was using the cross
referencing and would include a line such as "(see Figure # on page 4)" the
phrase Figure # was shaded the same color gray as I was using for the caption
text. If I changed the gray shading that is used in the caption text to
blue, the cross reference to the same wording is also blue. I can manually
remove the shading in the cross ref, but that will be painful considering the
number of them I have in use in the large documents I am working with.

Seems to me, with the heavy emphasis on style usage in Word 2007, that the
cross ref text should also be using a style that can easily be edited.

Thanks for the help.
-Brian