Juraj Ujhazy

Default Multiple User File Editing

Hello, how do I allow multiple users to access and edit the same document in
the same time? We do have files on our firm's network but multiple users need
to edit the document at the same time. Thank you.

sharepona

I'm using Word 2003 and having the opposite problem - the "master" file is
stored on a network folder, and many people can open and edit it. However,
the one saved last prevails and the edits of other people are lost. I would
like Word to warn prospective users that " file is being edited by another
user" - how can I do it ????

Thanks !

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not possible in Word.

"Juraj Ujhazy" Juraj wrote in message
Hello, how do I allow multiple users to access and edit the same document

in
the same time? We do have files on our firm's network but multiple users

need
to edit the document at the same time. Thank you.

This should be happening automatically. Whenever one person has a Word
document open, an "owner file" is created (see €śDescription of how Word
creates temporary files€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632). If
another user tries to open that document, Word generates a message that the
file is being used by user and gives the second user the option of opening
it read-only.

"sharepona" wrote in message
news
I'm using Word 2003 and having the opposite problem - the "master" file is
stored on a network folder, and many people can open and edit it. However,
the one saved last prevails and the edits of other people are lost. I

would
like Word to warn prospective users that " file is being edited by another
user" - how can I do it ????

Thanks !

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not possible in Word.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Juraj Ujhazy" Juraj wrote in message
Hello, how do I allow multiple users to access and edit the same

document
in
the same time? We do have files on our firm's network but multiple

users
need
to edit the document at the same time. Thank you.

sharepona

Thanks for the message - I agree that it should not be happening, but it is !
When user A opens the Word file stored in a network folder, Word creates the
temporary file (the one starting with ~), and all users accessing the folder
can see it. But other people can still open the same file unimpeded, and
whoever saves last prevails.

I tried the same test with Powerpoint, and same thing happened. Excel is
better, it warns that "file may have been modified by other user, do you want
to overwrite or save with a different name ?".

Any other advice on getting Word 2003 to behave properly ???

Thanks !

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This should be happening automatically. Whenever one person has a Word
document open, an "owner file" is created (see €śDescription of how Word
creates temporary files€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632). If
another user tries to open that document, Word generates a message that the
file is being used by user and gives the second user the option of opening
it read-only.

"sharepona" wrote in message
news
I'm using Word 2003 and having the opposite problem - the "master" file is
stored on a network folder, and many people can open and edit it. However,
the one saved last prevails and the edits of other people are lost. I

would
like Word to warn prospective users that " file is being edited by another
user" - how can I do it ????

Thanks !

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not possible in Word.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Juraj Ujhazy" Juraj wrote in message
Hello, how do I allow multiple users to access and edit the same

document
in
the same time? We do have files on our firm's network but multiple

users
need
to edit the document at the same time. Thank you.

It's possible you'll get an answer here, but this is really an end-user NG,
and there is so much traffic that your issue may not attract the attention
it deserves. You might be better advised to post in one of the Office NGs
that are aimed more at administrators.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This should be happening automatically. Whenever one person has a Word
document open, an "owner file" is created (see €śDescription of how Word
creates temporary files€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632).

If
another user tries to open that document, Word generates a message that

the
file is being used by user and gives the second user the option of

opening
it read-only.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"sharepona" wrote in message
news
I'm using Word 2003 and having the opposite problem - the "master"

file is
stored on a network folder, and many people can open and edit it.

However,
the one saved last prevails and the edits of other people are lost. I

would
like Word to warn prospective users that " file is being edited by

another
user" - how can I do it ????

Thanks !

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not possible in Word.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Juraj Ujhazy" Juraj wrote in

message
Hello, how do I allow multiple users to access and edit the same

document
in
the same time? We do have files on our firm's network but multiple

users
need
to edit the document at the same time. Thank you.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Is this a .DOC file?

Are all users seeing this folder as the same name
or are they all mapped to it differently?

Do you have the 'make local copy' setting turned on
in Tools=Options=Save?

Have you cleaned out all old files using the search string

=========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP