Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default applyng a multiple header row across pages in default table style

Exactly. Shauna's article on that subject pretty much sums it up.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I don't create any "fancy" tables, either, so I manage very well without
table styles.

More importantly, since table styles mess with *text* formatting, I just
don't find it worth the effort to bother with them.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, put it this way, I use Table Normal and apply my own paragraph
styles and direct formatting. I guess if I'd take the time to define a
table style for some documents (where the "style" would amount to a
border under the headings and one below the last row), it would save me
some time, but mostly my tables are borderless or have borders applied
very selectively (for forms, total lines, etc.).

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
We all use table styles, in the sense that we can't get rid of them
completely. :-)

But, like you, I don't (normally) choose to make use of them actively,
no.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Ah, okay. I never use table styles, so I'd forgotten this.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
But you can modify the table style to include the setting (for the
first
row): In the Modify Style dialog box, for "Apply formatting to,"
choose
"Header row." Then click Format, Table Properties. On the Row tab,
select
"Repeat as header row at the top of each page" and then click OK
twice.
When you create a table with the modified style, the "Repeat..."
setting
will be applied automatically.

Note that I tested this in Word 2007; I don't know if it works
properly
in Word 2003 as well.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
AFAICS it doesn't do it even for the first row. At least that's what
happened to me. I inserted a table, marked the first two rows as
headings, selected a table style with distinctive formatting for the
heading row, and applied it. Only the first row was formatted as a
heading, so I clicked in the second row to see if "Heading Rows
Repeat"
was checked. Not only was it not checked, it wasn't available
(indicating that the first row wasn't marked as a heading row,
either).
When I selected the top two rows and marked them as heading rows,
then
the heading row formatting was applied to both.

I just tested this again with a new table (without marking any
heading
rows). The table style *formats* the top row as a heading row but
does
not enable "Heading Rows Repeat." Moreover, based on another test,
applying the table style disables "Heading Rows Repeat" when it has
already been enabled.

The above applies to both Word 2003 and Word 2007 (with the
distinction
that in Word 2007, the button is "Repeat Header Rows").

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
OK, that is good news. However, my point was that a table style
cannot
apply the "Repeat as heading row..." setting *automatically* to more
than the first row.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Based on what I have read (and my experimentation), if you define
formatting for a heading row, apply the table style, and then
select
two
rows as heading rows, the heading row formatting will be applied to
both.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in
message
1. Use the Modify Style dialog box to modify a table style in
Word.
The
exact steps depend on your version of Word.

2. As far as I know, this is not possible in Word. The best you
can
do
with table styles is set the *first* row as a heading row. There
are
other methods that can be used, such as AutoText (building blocks)
or
macros.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"noa" wrote in message
Hello,

I want to set up the default table format on an RTF document that
will
take
the fist 2 rows in my table and repeat them as a header on all
the
pages
the
table extends to.

so I need to know 2 things
1. how do i edit the default table style
2. is it possible to set the first 2 rows as the header.

the data in my table is generated automatically and I don't know
in
advance
how big it will be.

thank you