Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luca del Carlo Luca del Carlo is offline

Default Numbering Question

If anyone could provide a simple and direct answer, I'd be extremely
grateful. I wish to begin numbering pages on page 7 and start with the number
2. How is this done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Most of what you need to know is detailed at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm, but here's
the gist of it.

1. Insert a section break (a) between pages 6 and 7 or (b) between pages 5
and 6. I would advocate (b) because it's more logical.

2. With the insertion point in Section 2, View | Header and Footer.

3. If you don't want any numbering in Section 1, click Same as Previous/Link
to Previous on the Header and Footer toolbar to turn it off, unlinking
Section 1 from Section 2 so that you can leave Section 1 blank.

4. If you chose option (b), click on Page Setup and enable "Different first
page."

5. Click Format Page Number and choose Start at (a) 2 or (b) 1.

6. If you chose option (a), Insert Page Number in the Header/Footer. If you
used option (b), you don't want a number on page 1, so skip from the First
Page Header/Footer to the Footer and use Insert Page Number.

"Luca del Carlo" Luca del wrote in message
If anyone could provide a simple and direct answer, I'd be extremely
grateful. I wish to begin numbering pages on page 7 and start with the
number
2. How is this done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luca del Carlo[_2_] Luca del Carlo[_2_] is offline

The numbering remains in Section 1, so allow me get clarification on the
directions, assuming we're following route b:

"1. Insert a section break (a) between pages 6 and 7 or (b) between pages 5
and 6. I would advocate (b) because it's more logical."

Which type of Section break would that be To insert a break between 5 and
6, does one place the break at the end of p.5 or at the start of p.6?

"3. If you don't want any numbering in Section 1, click Same as
Previous/Link to Previous on the Header and Footer toolbar to turn it off,
unlinking Section 1 from Section 2 so that you can leave Section 1 blank."

At this point, scrolling over that icon it reads "Link to Previous" not
"Same as Previous" . I understood it should be unlinked, which it all ready
appears to be. Is something amiss?

6. "....skip from the First Page Header/Footer to the Footer and use Insert
Page Number."

Hm...Headers and Footers appear together so I'm not sure what is meant by
skipping from the 1st page Header/Footer to the Footer. Skip from the 1st
page to another page? Or move from Header/Footer to just a Footer somehow?

I just intend to insert numbers into the Footer, beginning on p. 7.

I appreciate this!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It makes most sense to make it a Next Page break. You place the insertion
point at the top of page 6 and insert the break.

In some versions of Word the button is labeled Link to Previous; in some it
is Same as Previous (the slash indicates either/or). If the button is pushed
in, it is on. You need to turn it off.

I used the terminology Header/Footer because you didn't specify where you
wanted the page numbers; again, the slash means "or."

You're leaving the First Page Footer empty, so you use the Show Next button
to get to the Footer to insert the page number. The "first page" in this
instance is the first page of Section 2, i.e., page 6, which is now page 1.

You seem to have very little experience dealing with headers and footers, so
I would again recommend that you read

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luca del Carlo[_2_] Luca del Carlo[_2_] is offline

Finally, it became apparent that the Link to Previous feature automatically
re-engages each time Show Next is pressed. This was the issue. Reading the
help and how-to entries repeatedly and going off into tangents were part of
the effort to uncover this, but more it was too much and simply noticing how
the program was functioning was all that was required. Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, your description doesn't match reality. The feature does not
"automatically re-engage" when you press Show Next. It is still turned off
for the header/footer you turned it off for, but linking is the default, so
when you go to the next header/footer, it is linked to the one before it
until you unlink it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Luca del Carlo" wrote in
message