Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gatewaymike gatewaymike is offline

Default Adding doc title as a footer to all docs saved and created

I think it would be very helpful at this point to be able to add the document
title to all documents, as a footer, on all saved documents without opening
and adding to each individual document. I am getting so many saved documents
that I spend alot of time looking for where I saved the document. I may have
the paper copy in my hand and spend 20 minutes, with some profanity, looking
for the saved document.
Also a default setting so that all newly created documents will have the
document title as a footer, automatically. I suppose that some documents I
create I wouldn't want this footer. I could delete it as I see fit before
printing?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is not (nor will it be) possible to do this without opening the
documents.

What constitutes a 'title' in this context?

You can use the search routine in Windows Explorer to search for text
strings within documents so adding a title to the footer doesn't help a
great lot, but if you want the title there, format the title with a unique
style and add a styleref field to the footer. It shouldn't be too difficult
to create a macro to open each document in a folder and add a styleref field
to the footer, but you will still have to figure out how to format the
titles for existing documents - new documents shouldn't be an issue if you
use the Title style for document titles.

gatewaymike wrote:
I think it would be very helpful at this point to be able to add the
document title to all documents, as a footer, on all saved documents
without opening and adding to each individual document. I am getting
so many saved documents that I spend alot of time looking for where I
saved the document. I may have the paper copy in my hand and spend
20 minutes, with some profanity, looking for the saved document.
Also a default setting so that all newly created documents will have
the document title as a footer, automatically. I suppose that some
documents I create I wouldn't want this footer. I could delete it as
I see fit before printing?

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are referring to the file name, you can insert the FILENAME
field into the header (or footer). For existing documents, this must
be done for each file (though a macro could probably automate the
process). For new documents, add the field to your template.

Note that, in recent versions of Word, the FILENAME field doesn't
update automatically when a document is opened. To force an update,
you can switch to Print Preview and then back, or use the macro in the
article at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"gatewaymike" wrote in message
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the