Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
error display in word error display in word is offline

Default want an error alert in mail merge

hi,
when i mail merge using doc as my external source i made a field constant
using " if then else" from the 'insert word field ' tool.My result was
working fine.

requirement:
when i enter a replacement text other than what i had mentioned in the "if
then else " case i should get an error as we get in excel("data.. validation
.. show errors ).But its not prompting me for errors ...please help me on this
..

regards,
leo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As far as Word is concerned, an IF field just does what it says - if you
have { IF { myfield } = "X" "ABC" "" } then Word isn't going to do anything
special if { myfield } is not "X" - it just inserts a "".

If all you want is for Word to display a dialog box when { myfield } is not
"X" you can probably do that by using an invalid field, for example

{ IF { myfield } = "X" "ABC" "{=;}" }

However, this is a standard dialog box (it does not say what is wrong) and
this type of error will not prevent the merge from either continuing, or
outputting that Letter/Directory entry.

If you need to be selective about which records are merged, you can
- filter the records in the data source using Edit Recipients or
- (in some cases) use SKIPIF fields to cancel processing for records that
meet certain criteria or
- use Word VBA and Mailmerge events to prevent processing of certain
records.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"error display in word" error display in word @discussions.microsoft.com
wrote in message ...
hi,
when i mail merge using doc as my external source i made a field constant
using " if then else" from the 'insert word field ' tool.My result was
working fine.

requirement:
when i enter a replacement text other than what i had mentioned in the "if
then else " case i should get an error as we get in excel("data..
validation
. show errors ).But its not prompting me for errors ...please help me on
this
.

regards,
leo

Mail Merge Error fidelio1st Mailmerge 3 November 1st 07 06:54 AM
Dialog Box Alert upon opening a mail merge main document Marek Mailmerge 1 May 15th 07 04:13 PM
e-mail addresses for Word mail merge have format error cjfi Mailmerge 1 June 5th 06 04:54 PM
Mail Merge Error Tanya Mailmerge 2 January 24th 06 09:35 PM
Mail Merge Error Scott May Mailmerge 1 February 14th 05 11:20 PM