revronvegas

Default After changing page setup the doc reverts to old settings.

Just in the last 24 hours MS Word has been doing the following ... I change
the page set-up on a document to a two-column, landscape-oriented with 0.8"
margins. When I save the document (or print or just about any other action)
the page set-up reverts to the default settings and I lose the desired page
set-up.

I've tried soft-booting and hard-booting but neither is solving the problem.
None of the in-program nor on-line documentation has proven helpful. I just
want the program to follow my instructions.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?cmV2cm9udmVnYXM=?=,

which version of Word is involved? Did you download or install anything
recently?

Just in the last 24 hours MS Word has been doing the following ... I change
the page set-up on a document to a two-column, landscape-oriented with 0.8"
margins. When I save the document (or print or just about any other action)
the page set-up reverts to the default settings and I lose the desired page
set-up.

I've tried soft-booting and hard-booting but neither is solving the problem.
None of the in-program nor on-line documentation has proven helpful. I just
want the program to follow my instructions.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

revronvegas

Sorry for the tardy response ... I was out of town for several days.
1. From the Title page ... Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-e)
2. No new downloads or installs that I remember.
Thanks for the help.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?cmV2cm9udmVnYXM=?=,

which version of Word is involved? Did you download or install anything
recently?

Just in the last 24 hours MS Word has been doing the following ... I change
the page set-up on a document to a two-column, landscape-oriented with 0.8"
margins. When I save the document (or print or just about any other action)
the page set-up reverts to the default settings and I lose the desired page
set-up.

I've tried soft-booting and hard-booting but neither is solving the problem.
None of the in-program nor on-line documentation has proven helpful. I just
want the program to follow my instructions.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?cmV2cm9udmVnYXM=?=,

1. From the Title page ... Word 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-e)
2. No new downloads or installs that I remember.

Hmmm. Does this happen only with the one document, or with any new document you try
to create? (Trying to determine whether this is a damaged document)

If you try to set margins larger than .8" do you get anything different? (I'm
wondering whether it's reverting because it can't accept something you're
specifying)

which version of Word is involved? Did you download or install anything
recently?

Just in the last 24 hours MS Word has been doing the following ... I change
the page set-up on a document to a two-column, landscape-oriented with 0.8"
margins. When I save the document (or print or just about any other action)
the page set-up reverts to the default settings and I lose the desired page
set-up.

I've tried soft-booting and hard-booting but neither is solving the problem.
None of the in-program nor on-line documentation has proven helpful. I just
want the program to follow my instructions.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

revronvegas

Thank you for the input, Cindy. I did, in fact, load Roxio's "Drag-a-Disk",
Macromedia Flash, and MediaShout 2.0 in the past few weeks. Roxio was giving
me some problems largely because I have been one of those who worked off
floppies before and CD/RWs now. I have been afraid of hard drive crashes and
the loss of much, much important data.

So I started operating from the hard drive at the suggestion of one of my
friends (who always scratched his head about my CD/RW fetish) and our company
IT guys.

The page setup problem seems to be fixed. But you got me started in the
right direction.

Thanks.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?cmV2cm9udmVnYXM=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?cmV2cm9udmVnYXM=?=,

largely because I have been one of those who worked off
floppies before and CD/RWs now. I have been afraid of hard drive crashes and
the loss of much, much important data.

Always a bad idea, when working with Word. This is because Word is creating,
writing to and reading from multiple "scratch" files when you edit a document.
And this doesn't always work too well when everything is going to/from
"removable media". You were actually courting exactly the problem you wanted to
avoid :-)

When Word is involved, the better approach is to work with the document on the
hard-drive, then save to your backup medium via Windows Explorer, once the file
has been closed.

So I started operating from the hard drive at the suggestion of one of my
friends

I'm so glad you listed to him/her :-)!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Page setup settings scope and section break behavior salliesatt Page Layout 3 April 9th 05 04:42 PM
Changing Page #'s in footers Rick Page Layout 1 March 15th 05 10:33 PM
Changing Page layout Rhino Page Layout 1 February 9th 05 05:47 PM
how to put a portrait page number on a landscape page setup Dr. Trim Microsoft Word Help 1 January 19th 05 12:53 AM