salliesatt

Default Page setup settings scope and section break behavior

It appears that some page setup settings (mirror margins, even/odd) span the
whole document whether you want them to or not, while others (different first
page) can apply to individual sections.

Further, in an older document (probably created back in the Word 97 era) a
next-page section break after the first page of the document acts like an
odd-page break (a blank page 2 is inserted) when either mirror margins or
odd/even headers/footers is checked. This did not happen when I tried to
duplicate it in a small test document created in Word 2003, and I do not want
it to happen in this document. For the desired formatting. page 2 of the
document is supposed to be the start of a section that begins on an even page.

I haven't found any documentation of the nitty-gritty on these behaviors and
would appreciate ideas on where to find some. I hope to find a workaround
that is more efficient than copying the contents of the older document into a
new one paragraph by paragraph (which I think should work).

----------------------
Thanks in advance.

salliesatt

I should have stated in my problem description that the section break type
continues to display as "Next Page" even though it acts like "Odd Page". It
is as if something is going on backstage, very curious.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

If you restart numbering with an odd number, then Word will insist on seeing
that as an odd page if you are duplexing. If the page is really numbered 2,
then I don't understand why Word is doing this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You may be able to change the section start type on the Layout tab of

Page
Setup.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.