Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

Default Creating an accent above any letter in word

I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for people who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted at a higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical line (the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter. I want to
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I don't want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm. Note that Unicode
character 02C9, though not a combining diacritic, works well with an EQ \o
field as a macron (though there are several other macron or overbar
characters). Oh, wait, you want a *vertical* dash? Hmm. You're sure an acute
accent (character 0301) wouldn't do? I don't think there's anything in the
"(normal text)" character set that's going to work. Perhaps 030D in Arial
Unicode MS (Combining Vertical Line Above)? That won't even require an EQ
field.

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for people

who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted at a

higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical line (the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter. I want

know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I don't

want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

Thanks for quick reply Suzanne (sorry I made an error in sending the question
twice!). Afraid I don't know what you mean by EQ fields or macrons, but an
acute accent won't work anyway, I do need a vertical. I have accessed 'Add
features' via my MS2k Office disc to add Ariel Unicode MS to my system. But
when I open Insert/Symbol/Ariel Unicode MS I can't find "combining vertical
line above" in the scroll down 'subset' menu. There is a subset called
"combinging diacritics (symbols)" and another called "combining half marks"
but neither of these includes a vertical dash. I can see vertical dashes
(e.g. in 'Box drawing', 'Block elements' and 'Geometric shapes'), but if I
insert them into a document they simply appear on their own in a letter
space. I cannot see how to insert them over an actual letter. Presumably
there is a procedure one uses that I simply don't know about? I'm also
unfamiliar with terms you use like 030D, or where to find these? Can you get
me any further? Appreciate your taking time on this. jayno55 :-)

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for people

who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted at a

higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical line (the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter. I want

know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I don't

want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The reference to an EQ field is explained in the article I cited,
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm. A macron is a "long mark," a
short *horizontal* line. You can find the Combining Vertical Line Above at
glyph 030D (in the Combining Diacritical Marks character subset) as stated.
If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can insert is by typing 030D, then
pressing Alt+X.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm. Note that Unicode
character 02C9, though not a combining diacritic, works well with an EQ

\o
field as a macron (though there are several other macron or overbar
characters). Oh, wait, you want a *vertical* dash? Hmm. You're sure an

acute
accent (character 0301) wouldn't do? I don't think there's anything in

the
"(normal text)" character set that's going to work. Perhaps 030D in

Arial
Unicode MS (Combining Vertical Line Above)? That won't even require an

EQ
field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for

people
who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted at a

higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical line

(the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter. I

want
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I

don't
want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

Thankyou Suzanne. I think I understand the process now, but my version of
Word seems to be too old to get exactly where I'm trying to get to, as it has
no box into which I can type the glyph reference 030D. I presume I need to
upgrade my version of Word to solve this. Meanwhile I have a friend who is
also interested and he has a new PC and more recent software. We may try to
sort this on his system first, then, if I may, I will come back to you if I
have any remaining questions. jayno55 :-)

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for

people
who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted at a
higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical line

(the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter. I

want
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I

don't
want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should be able to do this in Word 97 and above. In the Insert | Symbol
dialog, scroll to the Combining Diacritical Marks character subset and then
look for the symbol.

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for

people
who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted

at a
higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical

line
(the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter.

want
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I

don't
want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

Yes I have managed it now, Suzanne. Need to do some fine tuning in the
formatting though, as the line is a bit low and cuts into the top of the
letter, which I don't want. Once I have figured all that, I reckon I can
autotext it and I should be home and dry.
Cheers, jayno55

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for
people
who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted

at a
higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical

line
(the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter.

want
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I
don't
want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

I hope so. I'll have to try it next weekend though to see. I have to do the
day job for the next few days! I'll let you know how it goes when I come back
to it. j

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words

for
people
who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is

chanted
at a
higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical
line
(the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given

letter.
want
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in

Word. I
don't
want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

hey ho, ignore my last message Suzanne - couldn't resist spending more time
on it this morning and have now got it all working excellently and my new
characters are safely banked in Autotext.
Please enjoy your day. You've helped a stranger (from the UK)!
jayno55 :-))

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words

for
people
who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is

chanted
at a
higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical
line
(the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given

letter.
want
know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in

Word. I
don't
want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could be of assistance (eventually).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The reference to an EQ field is explained in the article I

cited,
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm. A macron is a

"long
mark," a
short *horizontal* line. You can find the Combining Vertical

Line
Above
at
glyph 030D (in the Combining Diacritical Marks character

subset) as
stated.
If you have Word 2002 or 2003, you can insert is by typing

030D,
then
pressing Alt+X.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"jayno55" wrote in message
[...]