cbxmel

Default lost 26 pages of text when pressed tab key.

I was compiling a catalogue list in connection with my hobby.Reached page 26
and pressed tab and all text lost.My documents folder shows 20kb of text held
but unable to get back to it.Just keeps coming up blank.Using office student
teacher edition 2003.Help Mel
Klaus Linke

Hi Mel,

Owww, you closed the document? Next time, remember "Undo" (either Ctrl+Z, or
the button on the standard toolbar).

Usually you can undo everything that happened since you opened the document
(even if you saved in between), no matter what.
But if you saved and closed the file, it was overwritten and it's probably
too late.

If you have "Tools Options Save Always create backup copy" checked,
you've got a backup file with the extension *.wbk in the same folder as the
document, which contains a backup made before you saved the document the
last time. Sometimes that can save your neck.

Regards,
Klaus

Mel wrote:
I was compiling a catalogue list in connection with my hobby.Reached
page 26 and pressed tab and all text lost.My documents folder shows
20kb of text held but unable to get back to it.Just keeps coming up
blank.Using office student teacher edition 2003.Help Mel

Jay Freedman

Hi Mel,

Just a couple more things...

The 20 kb file size is about right for an "empty" document. Word puts in
that much document-level formatting information before you ever type a
single character.

If there is anything in that file (unlikely), you may be able to see it by
setting the "Files of type" box in the File Open dialog to "Recover text
from any file". This will display a lot of garbage, but if there's any text
it will be in there somewhere. If you find any, copy it and paste it into a
new blank document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman