Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gregory

Default Custom envelope size does not work

When trying to print addresses on envelopes, I would like to use the custom
envelope size, however, every size combination I put in comes back as
"invalid size".
I have tried transposing the height and width with the same results. The
envelope I am using is 5.1"x7.1" (standard for greeting cards). I have tried
rounding the size to even numbers, and selecting the built-in numbers with
the same results.

Does this feature work? If so, how do I fix it?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Word will only do what the printer driver will allow. In this instance use
the nearest standard envelope size and use the margins and paragraph
formatting to position the text so that it prints correctly - see
http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

John Gregory wrote:
When trying to print addresses on envelopes, I would like to use the
custom envelope size, however, every size combination I put in comes
back as "invalid size".
I have tried transposing the height and width with the same results.
The envelope I am using is 5.1"x7.1" (standard for greeting cards).
I have tried rounding the size to even numbers, and selecting the
built-in numbers with the same results.

Does this feature work? If so, how do I fix it?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gregory

If that is true, why does it support a paper size the same as the envelope,
but not the envelope size?

John Gregory wrote:
When trying to print addresses on envelopes, I would like to use the
custom envelope size, however, every size combination I put in comes
back as "invalid size".
I have tried transposing the height and width with the same results.
The envelope I am using is 5.1"x7.1" (standard for greeting cards).
I have tried rounding the size to even numbers, and selecting the
built-in numbers with the same results.

Does this feature work? If so, how do I fix it?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You'll have to ask the manufacturer of the printer!

If that size is a standard *paper* size you can probably create an envelope
*template* but unless this is a programmed *envelope* size it is not going
to work as a custom envelope from the envelope label wizard. The workaround
I suggested will work.

If you want to automate an envelope *template* then there are samples on my
web site containing code to interface with Outlook, based on
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm which you could modify to suit your
requirements.

John Gregory wrote:
When trying to print addresses on envelopes, I would like to use the
custom envelope size, however, every size combination I put in comes
back as "invalid size".
I have tried transposing the height and width with the same results.
The envelope I am using is 5.1"x7.1" (standard for greeting cards).
I have tried rounding the size to even numbers, and selecting the
built-in numbers with the same results.

Does this feature work? If so, how do I fix it?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gregory

Thank you for the links. Using this information from your website I managed
to make the envelope size work. It appears in this case, the problem was
with the envelope margin sizes. The way I made it work was to select a stock
size close, but smaller than, the size I wanted - as you suggested, but then
I was able to create my custom envelope size from there.

Thank you for your help!