Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

Default Page numbering -- leave a page blank NOT the first page

I have a long document and I need to intersperse pages should have no page
numbering, in other words, skip page numbering and then number on the next
page, making sure to count the page left blank. I know I can force this using
sections but that will be a problem when editing the document and the page
numbering changes. Is there a field code that will help with this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can do it with a conditional field

{ IF { =MOD({ Page },2) } = 1 "{ Page }" }

Set = 1 to number the odd pages = 0 to number the even pages.

Terri wrote:
I have a long document and I need to intersperse pages should have no
page numbering, in other words, skip page numbering and then number
on the next page, making sure to count the page left blank. I know I
can force this using sections but that will be a problem when editing
the document and the page numbering changes. Is there a field code
that will help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terri Terri is offline

I guess I didn't ask the question clearly. The pages that don't need
numbering aren't odd/even, but at random spots throughout the document. For
example, if I insert into an Appendix a word document, and it becomes part of
the main document, I don't want it to print page numbers on the inserted
pages. However, if I use sections I'm afraid I'll end up having to go back
and forth putting in the restart numbering setting.

Terri wrote:
I have a long document and I need to intersperse pages should have no
page numbering, in other words, skip page numbering and then number
on the next page, making sure to count the page left blank. I know I
can force this using sections but that will be a problem when editing
the document and the page numbering changes. Is there a field code
that will help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Terri,

The easiest way is with Section breaks - simply unlink the Section that needs the page number suppressed from the Sections before
and after it, then delete the PAGE field.

Alternatively, if you've got a Table of Contents and you need the numbering to continue across the section breaks:
.. unlink the Section that needs the page number suppressed from the Sections before and after it
.. select the page-number field and press Shift-F9
.. add '\# ;;' to the field coding, thus {PAGE \# ;;}. This switch tells Word to keep but hide the output
.. press F9 to update.

Cheers
--
macropod