Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Dom5smom Dom5smom is offline

Default Cell WILL NOT vertical center! HELP!

I have set up a form using a table. In some rows, I have had to change the
size of the cells, but just by adjusting the width, not by merging cells.

I have one cell that absolutely will not center and I cannot figure out why.
There are no indentations and no spacings set either before or after any of
the lines within the cell. There is less text than space, so there is plenty
of room for the text to center.

I am SO frustrated! Where's my WordPerfect????

Can somebody HELP?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cell WILL NOT vertical center! HELP!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble centering a cell in your table. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Select the cell that you want to center vertically.
  2. Go to the "Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Align" dropdown menu and select "Align Center".
  4. If the cell still isn't centered, try adjusting the row height. Right-click on the row that contains the cell and select "Row Height". Make sure that the "Specify height" checkbox is unchecked and that the "Row height is" dropdown menu is set to "Auto". Click "OK" to apply the changes.
  5. If the cell still isn't centered, try adjusting the table properties. Right-click anywhere in the table and select "Table Properties". Go to the "Row" tab and make sure that the "Allow row to break across pages" checkbox is unchecked. Go to the "Cell" tab and make sure that the "Vertical alignment" dropdown menu is set to "Center". Click "OK" to apply the changes.
  6. If none of these steps work, try copying the contents of the cell to a new cell and see if that cell can be centered vertically.

I hope these steps help you solve the issue!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you want to send a copy of the document to me at
dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org I will take a look at it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Dom5smom" wrote in message
I have set up a form using a table. In some rows, I have had to change
the
size of the cells, but just by adjusting the width, not by merging cells.

I have one cell that absolutely will not center and I cannot figure out
why.
There are no indentations and no spacings set either before or after any
of
the lines within the cell. There is less text than space, so there is
plenty
of room for the text to center.

I am SO frustrated! Where's my WordPerfect????

Can somebody HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

What version of Word is this?

Have you checked the cell margins? Right-click the cell and choose Table
Properties, Cell tab - Options button. If the Top and Bottom settings aren't
identical (usually 0), you won't be able to center vertically.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

"Dom5smom" wrote in message
I have set up a form using a table. In some rows, I have had to change
the
size of the cells, but just by adjusting the width, not by merging cells.

I have one cell that absolutely will not center and I cannot figure out
why.
There are no indentations and no spacings set either before or after any
of
the lines within the cell. There is less text than space, so there is
plenty
of room for the text to center.

I am SO frustrated! Where's my WordPerfect????

Can somebody HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi Herb,

I received a copy of the document and could not find out what it was that
was causing the problem (and believe me, I looked). The problem could
however be overcome by deleting all of the text from the cell and
re-entering it manually.

Let me know if you want to bang your head against the wall and I will send
the file to you.

--

"Dom5smom" wrote in message
I have set up a form using a table. In some rows, I have had to change
the
size of the cells, but just by adjusting the width, not by merging cells.

I have one cell that absolutely will not center and I cannot figure out
why.
There are no indentations and no spacings set either before or after any
of
the lines within the cell. There is less text than space, so there is
plenty
of room for the text to center.

I am SO frustrated! Where's my WordPerfect????

Can somebody HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

It will beinteresting to see what you gurus find.
Recently I had a colleague had a similar problem where one line in the
middle of the paragraph had extra space above, i.e. between it and the
previous line in the same paragraph.
I checked all the usual suspects and used the usual methods to control
formatting but to no avail.
When the line was selected all seemed fine but using the cursor keys going
one character at a time from the start to finish of the line, just near the
end I found a character-space that had extra space above it, I could not see
any specific character just a very narrow space with extra height. ?
The character space was selectable and I did delete it and all was well. The
colleague did own up to copying that secection of text from an external
document, so who knows?
Looking forward to the outcome of your investigations.
DeanH

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to look at it, too.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dom5smom" wrote in message
I have set up a form using a table. In some rows, I have had to change
the
size of the cells, but just by adjusting the width, not by merging
cells.

I have one cell that absolutely will not center and I cannot figure out
why.
There are no indentations and no spacings set either before or after
any of
the lines within the cell. There is less text than space, so there is
plenty
of room for the text to center.

I am SO frustrated! Where's my WordPerfect????

Can somebody HELP?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

There's some kind of hidden corruption associated with this line:

7. Signature and position

The bottom line is that Word somehow thinks that line contains a graphic of
some kind. It's probably some kind of underlying binary resolution issue. By
turning on/off the layout setting "Don't vertically align table cells
containing shapes," the problem appears/disappears.

The other way I can get rid of the problem is by cutting that line
(including the paragraph mark), then pasting it back in as unformatted text,
and adding a new paragraph mark (because in pasting as unformatted text, the
paragraph mark is removed). Once I do that, toggling the "Don't
vertically..." setting no longer has any effect.

The problem isn't in the paragraph mark--deleting it, doesn't do the trick.
If I delete that line--one character at a time--the problem remains. If I
delete the entire cell one character at a time, the problem remains. The
only solution is to delete that line in one fell swoop, then restore it by
pasting as unformatted text.

A red herring was that if I copy/paste the whole document, just that cell,
or just the table into a new document, the problem goes away. It turns out
that's because the new document was defaulting to "Don't vertically..."
being turned off (Word 2010's default). Turning it back on causes the
problem to return in a new document. The problem is copied into a new
document whether the paste method is HTML or RTF.

How I found this was by first converting to Word 2010 format (the problem
went away), then setting compatibility options for Word 97-2003 (the problem
came back), and looking at the handful of layout options that get turned on
when 97-2003 compatibility is used.

In any case, I suspect that this is a fluke that won't recur for Sue unless
she copies the unfixed table into future documents. If she's using Word
2003, I don't know if the "Don't vertically..." layout option exists, in
which case the unformatted-paste solution would be how she can fix it
(although, I don't have Word 2003, so I can't test this).

Hope this helps...

--

"DeanH" wrote in message
[...]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to look at it, too.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dom5smom" wrote in message
I have set up a form using a table. In some rows, I have had to
change
the
size of the cells, but just by adjusting the width, not by merging
cells.

I have one cell that absolutely will not center and I cannot figure
out
why.
There are no indentations and no spacings set either before or after
any of
the lines within the cell. There is less text than space, so there
is
plenty
of room for the text to center.

I am SO frustrated! Where's my WordPerfect????

Can somebody HELP?

.

table cell alignment: can't center vertically David Powell[_2_] Tables 3 April 21st 23 05:04 PM
Center text vertically in table cell Scott Tables 1 October 6th 08 04:27 AM
How do you center text in a cell vertically, rather than horizonta sheana New Users 2 January 6th 08 05:48 PM
vertical alignment cell Kelly Tables 1 July 28th 05 08:46 PM
center text in a table cell ChessNut Tables 2 June 14th 05 03:10 PM