Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie Connie is offline

Default In Word 2003 when mail merge how do I delete an empty field?

When a defined field is blank how do I tell mail merge to skip that field on
that one merge?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

By blank do you mean empty? If so you can conditionally insert the content
of that field eg

{IF{Mergefield fieldname} "" "{Mergefield fieldname}"}

connie wrote:
When a defined field is blank how do I tell mail merge to skip that
field on that one merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie Connie is offline

Yes, I do mean empty. However, the situation would be, for example, in my
mail merge I have a field for "name". The mail merge is set up with a line
stating Attn: name Some records do not have an entry for name and on
the mail merge if the name field is empty I want that line skipped in the
merge ie do not print the word Attn.

connie wrote:
When a defined field is blank how do I tell mail merge to skip that
field on that one merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is then but a small stretch to something like:

{Mergefield Company}{IF{Mergefield name} "" "Attn: {Mergefield fieldname}
"}{Mergefield Address1}etc

Use CTRL+F9 for the brackets {} and substitute the correct field names